Pinktoe problems

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
221
Does anyone have any advice about pinktoes? I've had two of them die right after a molt in the last couple of months. This time my .75 inch sling died, but the molt did not appear to be problematic at all. She molted in just a few hours, and seemed to be normal, but with a small butt. So I waited a few days, and tried to feed her but she refused to eat, and today she was dead. I wonder what I am doing wrong?
 

Fuggrur

Arachnopeon
Joined
Aug 5, 2002
Messages
40
Ive only attempted to raise a Versicolor sling.. But I assume the general care is the same... Humidity and STALE AIR seem to be a major factor... Every night I take off the lid and move some fresh air into the vial.. So far no problems :)
 

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
221
Well my versicolor is no problem. Shes very healthy, and she likes to play Houdini with me when I open her lid to feed her :D
But it's my two A.Avics that died right after molts. The first one I could understand, she had a bad molt.. but this one? There didnt seem to be any problem with the molt. I'm confused:?
 

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 8, 2002
Messages
110
Sorry to hear about your sling. I have a Pink toe for about two weeks and trying to figure her out. I went out today and got a humidity gage. None of my T's have molted yet. Two of them I havent seen in about 2 weeks. One thing helps, I have this vertual pet Red Knee and I try to get it to smile. You know, I even worry about her. Maybe your not doing anything wrong and it was just too week.
 

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
3,786
I doubt there was anything particularly wrong you did. Slings just sometimes die for no obvious reason. Also, even if the moult apparently went off without a problem, it's still possible for them to tear the cuticle in the process and slowly bleed out - with a sling that small it would not have been obvious, nor anything you could do.

If there is one thing people do wrong with avics of any type, it's try to keep them humid (not saying this is what happened here, just seemed like a good place to toss out my 'general avic advice (tm)). They could care less, they live in trees where humidity falls under all sorts of ranges (and they also get excellent ventilation). I make zero efforts to do more than mist once or twice a week so they can drink from the sides. Even as slings I always keep them in very well ventilated containers - it is definitely a mistake to think that avics need a humid environment.
 

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 7, 2002
Messages
294
Hi..:)

Hi..

I agree,Code,,,

I have had my 2 Versicolors now and my A.Avic. for 3,5 months now including 2 molts each for all of them and I just mist sides of the cage,ceiling, and I have kept it well ventilated as well and they are thriving.

Also this refusal of eating after molt is "kinda" different.

My s'lings after a 2 days wait after molt are hungry like wolfs.

Well,,veronyka,,I'm not an expert and as Code wrote I have also understood that s'lings can just suddenly die for no direct apperent reason.

Kenny
 

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
221
Hmmm.. well I have only lost my pinktoes... both in different stages of maturity but both times immediately following a molt. I guess I'm just not meant to have pinks. :( Too bad because they were both so cute. I never got to see either one mature to adulthood. Oh well.. I'm still looking at other species right now:}
 

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
533
Hey Veronyka,
sorry to hear about the losses :(
I have my theory about captive spiders (especially slings)that die: Due to the excellent care of most T owners who breed with them, almost all spiderlings will survive, however, not all can be strong, in the wild these would soon die/ get eaten etc. In captivity these will survive to some stage, but there will come a point where this shows.
These thoughts are because you keep hearing about bad molts and spiders that die of no apparent reason, under the perfect conditions.
Anyone has any comments/thoughts about this?
greetz,
Joost
 
Top