Pinktoe molding question

Icculus

Arachnosquire
If cost is an issue, just go to a river or lake and pick up some drift wood...its free....and its the only wood I use...I refuse to pay for something that's free and abundant.

As for housing, sterilite is the cheap alternative...no, its not quite as clear (but still clear enough for observation), but its cheap and easily ventilated. Personally, those cages from Jamies look fantastic, but I would rather have more ts....If I used those instead of sterilite, I would have 1/4 the ts I've got just due to the high housing costs....I advise spending your cash where its best served, and that's on more ts;)
So you got me thinking. People may very well already be doing this but... what if you were to get a steralite container that was big enough to house a particular specis as an adult and then divide it into appropriate sections based on the size per growth stage. For example. Let's say it was divided into three sections and then you divided one of those sections into another three. You could keep maybe a 1 inch sling? and up in the same container( that is already fully set up) and simply pull out dividers when it is ready for more room and eliminate the rehousing process.

Also, I would rather have something that looks nice. What would be wrong with buying a cheap aquarium, a ten gallon tank is only $14, and using a tile/glass drill bit to create holes for cross ventilation. You could even make a template for drilling so the pattern is consistate and then smooth the edges with a low grit sandpaper. you could even get crazy and buy a tank big enough to house several spiders.

And I like the driftwood idea

cold blood

Staff member
So you got me thinking. People may very well already be doing this but... what if you were to get a steralite container that was big enough to house a particular specis as an adult and then divide it into appropriate sections based on the size per growth stage. For example. Let's say it was divided into three sections and then you divided one of those sections into another three. You could keep maybe a 1 inch sling? and up in the same container( that is already fully set up) and simply pull out dividers when it is ready for more room and eliminate the rehousing process.

Also, I would rather have something that looks nice. What would be wrong with buying a cheap aquarium, a ten gallon tank is only $14, and using a tile/glass drill bit to create holes for cross ventilation. You could even make a template for drilling so the pattern is consistate and then smooth the edges with a low grit sandpaper. you could even get crazy and buy a tank big enough to house several spiders.

And I like the driftwood idea
Divided, enlarging enclosure is a bad idea. I thin you are worried too much about simple re-housings....its not that difficult to get a t from point a to point b....just move them up as needed.

Aquariums work ok, but they really work better for terrestrials. Europe has appealing, inexpensive glass enclosures, we have exo terras which are similar, albeit a lot nicer looking, but ridiculously expensive.

While I don't like the necked down, screw on lids they have, plastic food containers like the ones you might get cheezy poofs or pretzels in are very clear and easily ventilated. The restrictive top can make things more difficult to work around though.

Me, I like function over aesthetics, so I use sterilite.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Divided, enlarging enclosure is a bad idea. I thin you are worried too much about simple re-housings....its not that difficult to get a t from point a to point b....just move them up as needed.

Aquariums work ok, but they really work better for terrestrials. Europe has appealing, inexpensive glass enclosures, we have exo terras which are similar, albeit a lot nicer looking, but ridiculously expensive.

While I don't like the necked down, screw on lids they have, plastic food containers like the ones you might get cheezy poofs or pretzels in are very clear and easily ventilated. The restrictive top can make things more difficult to work around though.

Me, I like function over aesthetics, so I use sterilite.
So do only aborerals need cross venting?

cold blood

Staff member
So do only aborerals need cross venting?
it is much more important for them than for terrestrials, although I do cross vent them...although when theyre stacked, you have to have the venting on the sides, and most of mine are stacked.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
it is much more important for them than for terrestrials, although I do cross vent them...although when theyre stacked, you have to have the venting on the sides, and most of mine are stacked.
Makes sense

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Honestly there is enough height, its just barren, which is probably why it took a little longer to acclimate. To improve it, just add 2 or 3 pieces of flat wood, lean then against the sides around the plant.

It looks pretty content in its web home, I wouldn't make drastic changes personally. Some wood will drastically improve her home.

You do need to go get a piece of acrylic or plexi cut for the top.....then drill out the ventilation. Screen tops are bad news in many ways from safety to husbandry.
Alright cold blood. I finally found the cork bark I was looking for. I didn't put the big piece to the top of the plant because I would have to pull apart the web to do so. I found this store http://www.jabberwockreptiles.com awhile back but was reluctant to go there because it is an hour away from where I live. I had the itch on today for another t so I made the trip after work. the guy has a bunch of t's. Has to be to be well over hundred. it was pretty cool to see alot of the t's that ive been reading about. there were a couple of Poecilotheria regalis that blew my mind!
It's one thing to read about the size and another to actually see it. 20161119_213209.jpg 20161119_213221.jpg 20161119_213244.jpg 20161119_213252.jpg
cork bark was $12 a pound. the piece I bought was only $2.40. I also bought this guy, Grammostola pulchripes. i think a gbb will be next

cold blood

Staff member
Good buy, pulchripes are great, I have about 40 that size. There homes look very much like yours.

The new wood could be taller, but it looks great and should be quite functional.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Good buy, pulchripes are great, I have about 40 that size. There homes look very much like yours.

The new wood could be taller, but it looks great and should be quite functional.
I could carefully put the one piece to the top but more than likely have to rip the webbing away from the leaf and glass. I finally got the deli cup with the new t. the lid is awfully tight. are they all like this? I was considering cutting a flap so I could water and feed without any disrubance. have you ever done that?

cold blood

Staff member
No, don't cut a flap....the more you use them, the easier they are to deal with. There is generally some part of the lid that is less resistant. An option is to use a syringe, you can just put the needle through the ventilation and fill the dish.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
No, don't cut a flap....the more you use them, the easier they are to deal with. There is generally some part of the lid that is less resistant. An option is to use a syringe, you can just put the needle through the ventilation and fill the dish.
I'll leave the flap alone. question about the venting. I bought one of the containers that he has almost all his slings in. there are only six 1/16" holes around the outside. none on the top. he buys them in bulk premade like this, I think anyway. maybe they are drilling them. are these six holes enough ? I remember reading somewhere that you have two rows of holes.

cold blood

Staff member
post a pic...but its probably just fine. Keep in mind, my holes are the size of a toothpick.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
An option is to use a syringe, you can just put the needle through the ventilation and fill the dish.
I do this exactly. It's great for when you don't have to do maintenance to just stick a needle through one of the vent holes.

This is the syringe with the two needles I use. The purple is a large gauge for my large enclosures and kks. The yellow one is for the deli cups.
20161120_101456 (1).png

Icculus

Arachnosquire
I like it. where did you get that? I currently use a regular medicine drop nnot that still requires me to open the lid

Icculus

Arachnosquire

So I half expected the little guy to burrow in overnight. woke up this morning and he was just pressed up against the side. tonight he's still just hanging out above ground. is this normal? I've read as adults they are in the open alot but I expected as a sling it would burrow or make use of the hide. I have a loose bag of coco sub that I've been using. when I set up the cup I took some sub and mix it with some water them squeezed it out and packed it in. shouldn't be an issue with the sub right? I wasn't really concerned with the venting just curious. and btw I moved the longer stick up alittle so it's just under the avic and her web.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Pretty much all (90%) never burrowed or hid and remain in the open to this day. The only burrowers I had out grew it by the time they were 1" pretty much. They do move sub around A LOT though.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Pretty much all (90%) never burrowed or hid and remain in the open to this day. The only burrowers I had out grew it by the time they were 1" pretty much. They do move sub around A LOT though.
Awesome. thank you. this guy is about an 1 1/2 or a tad less dls. thanks for easing my mind