Pinktoe molding question

cold blood

Staff member
I do. I read everything I can find and decide what makes sense. Funny how many opions on one subject can differ. Trust your instincts.
Look for facts, not opinions, the facts are quite consistent;).

just trust the info on the boards here, thats what i do.
Agreed, because this site is so active with so many people always online throughout the world, you really can get answers pretty fast, and any suspect or poor info gets corrected very quickly. After spending time here, you will learn who the people to listen to are and who the people to ignore are...thankfully the latter group has not been making their presence felt lately.

Thank you for the help. I'm quite sure it's a pink toe. It's black with pink on the end of its feet. When the light hits it right there is a blue hue to its head. (Sorry I know that's not the right terminology ) now that I know it's a tree spider im working on getting an upright house for it. Then I want to get a terrestrial for the old tank. (Which is just a ten gallon aquarium) I know this might be a newb thing to say but petco now offers 25 different specis that are all captive breed and at least in my state (ma) they can only sell spiderlings(which I really like since it's hard to tell the age)
That aquarium can be used still, it just needs to be set up completely different. The common way to use them would be to stand it on end, so its taller and create a more vertical habitat.

Housed as a terrestrial will be very stressful for an avic...and I don't use the word stress very often with ts, but avics need a good vertical home with places to anchor webbing and feel safe.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
So... there are over 50 species of "pink toe" tarantulas. :eek: Some that are available to the hobby include:
A. versicolor, avicularia, metallica, aurantiaca, purpurea, diversipes, geroldi, minatrix, etc. (Really, I only listed the ones I like :embarrassed:)

The common names of tarantulas can be quite misleading (e.g. bird eater) and are often used to describe the same darn species.

Yeah, I've seen those petco tarantula tubes. There have been several posts here showing pictures of clearly mislabled tarantulas from them. Some even have species mismatches between "common" common names. :meh:

Just a word of advice, second guess EVERYTHING the petco employee told you about tarantulas.

WARNING Incoming Unsolicited Advice, ignore as you see fit.

1. They don't drown, they need a water bowl with water (no gel, rocks, foam, etc.) A bottle cap will do for slings.
2. DO NOT use a humidity gauge with avics or any T for that matter, they die super easy in stuffy containers. I keep my substrate mostly dry with a nice big water dish.
3. No heat mats, lamps, rocks, or anything that goes inside or on the enclosure that will add localized heat. It will kill them.
4. They do not enjoy being handled, they will never enjoy it. Sad, I know. :sorry:
5. Don't feed immediately after a molt wait several days. Their fangs need to harden.
6. They eat once or twice a WEEK, not daily. If they refuse food within 24 hours, take it out. They won't eat before a molt.

Good luck, enjoy that avic, post a pic of the setup if you want any advice. Ask around, people really know their stuff here.
Thanks bry.

1. Yes it has a water dish.
2. I have no humity gauge. I keep the substrate dry but slightly overflow the water dish once and a while. Once a week at the most. Not sure if that is nessacery.
3. There is no artificial heat. Although I have seen people who say their spiders like the pad on the side of the cage. I'll live in new england so I did some research with colder weather on the way and ultimately decided to move the enclosure downstairs (second floor is always alittle colder in fall and winter)
4. No handling here
5. Did prevoius research on molting and was able to determine that it was in premolt fairly quickly
6. Yes

So... there are over 50 species of "pink toe" tarantulas. :eek: Some that are available to the hobby include:
A. versicolor, avicularia, metallica, aurantiaca, purpurea, diversipes, geroldi, minatrix, etc. (Really, I only listed the ones I like :embarrassed:)

The common names of tarantulas can be quite misleading (e.g. bird eater) and are often used to describe the same darn species.

Yeah, I've seen those petco tarantula tubes. There have been several posts here showing pictures of clearly mislabled tarantulas from them. Some even have species mismatches between "common" common names. :meh:

Just a word of advice, second guess EVERYTHING the petco employee told you about tarantulas.

WARNING Incoming Unsolicited Advice, ignore as you see fit.

1. They don't drown, they need a water bowl with water (no gel, rocks, foam, etc.) A bottle cap will do for slings.
2. DO NOT use a humidity gauge with avics or any T for that matter, they die super easy in stuffy containers. I keep my substrate mostly dry with a nice big water dish.
3. No heat mats, lamps, rocks, or anything that goes inside or on the enclosure that will add localized heat. It will kill them.
4. They do not enjoy being handled, they will never enjoy it. Sad, I know. :sorry:
5. Don't feed immediately after a molt wait several days. Their fangs need to harden.
6. They eat once or twice a WEEK, not daily. If they refuse food within 24 hours, take it out. They won't eat before a molt.

Good luck, enjoy that avic, post a pic of the setup if you want any advice. Ask around, people really know their stuff here.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Please don't buy slings from petco
:(
There are expert breeders here, look through the classifieds often able to sell you slings, juvies and adults at a far better price.
If you're going for a sling, that 10gallon is going to be useless for quite some time ;)
I will look for an active breeder in my area for the next one:happy:

Icculus

Arachnosquire
@Icculus on the note above, a 32 oz to 64 oz deli container is actually perfect for avic slings.

The reason such a big enclosure is bad is that the larger the disparity in size, the harder it is for them to find food. I have my ADULT in an approximately 4 gallon enclosure.
View attachment 223106
They really don't get THAT big. Size is often exaggerated. Mine is about 4" dls tops.
Your picture is what I'm looking for. Now knowing that I have a pinktoe I would like to get it a better suited enclosure. My biggest concern with where it is now is that it's web is at the top of the cage and also the plant I bought was alittle to big so everytime i take the lid off im sure its disturbing it no matter how careful i am.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
So there is a post at the bottom of this page about an Avic not eating that has me a little worried. When we first put "pinky" in its new home (april 30th) it spent about a week in the top corner in the nervous postion (as to be expected). Once it was comfortable it moved around quite a bit. It mostly stayed on the sides but I also found it in the hideout here and there and could tell it was spending time on the ground. It's always been a good eater. Since it's molt maybe two weeks ago it hasn't been doing much of anything but hanging out in the web pictured above. We've only seen it out twice and it hasn't eaten yet. I've only tried feeding it once which was a couple of days ago but removed the cricket that next day. Why the sudden change in behavior?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So there is a post at the bottom of this page about an Avic not eating that has me a little worried. When we first put "pinky" in its new home (april 30th) it spent about a week in the top corner in the nervous postion (as to be expected). Once it was comfortable it moved around quite a bit. It mostly stayed on the sides but I also found it in the hideout here and there and could tell it was spending time on the ground. It's always been a good eater. Since it's molt maybe two weeks ago it hasn't been doing much of anything but hanging out in the web pictured above. We've only seen it out twice and it hasn't eaten yet. I've only tried feeding it once which was a couple of days ago but removed the cricket that next day. Why the sudden change in behavior?
Before I moved mine, she used to be quite the active little hunter - she rarely does that now. She saves most of her activity for at night (I can see the poo).

The real key is making sure it's abdomen looks "full" and not sunken. As long as they are hydrated, I wouldn't worry too much about them refusing food. While mine is an adult, she had refused food for about a month after molt.

I wouldn't worry about the plant being too big per se. Avics like lots of anchor points.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your picture is what I'm looking for. Now knowing that I have a pinktoe I would like to get it a better suited enclosure. My biggest concern with where it is now is that it's web is at the top of the cage and also the plant I bought was alittle to big so everytime i take the lid off im sure its disturbing it no matter how careful i am.
That's why I really like having those side opening entrances. Avics will tend to web up as high as they can. @cold blood recommended turning the tank on its side (make it tall).

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

It's actually pretty easy to make those windows too.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
That's why I really like having those side opening entrances. Avics will tend to web up as high as they can. @cold blood recommended turning the tank on its side (make it tall).

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

It's actually pretty easy to make those windows too.
Thanks bry.

yes, thats what i have read. And that's what its done. The plant isnt the problem the cage is. I saw the equivalent of what you posted at the store for about $80. I would like to get one for it so it has more height than ground space and then use the old cage for a new terrestrial spider. It's funny I write that post above and then I turn around and she out roaming the tank. She looks good and I dropped a cricket in. thanks for all your help. Any recommendations for a terrestrial?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks bry.

yes, thats what i have read. And that's what its done. The plant isnt the problem the cage is. I saw the equivalent of what you posted at the store for about $80. I would like to get one for it so it has more height than ground space and then use the old cage for a new terrestrial spider. It's funny I write that post above and then I turn around and she out roaming the tank. She looks good and I dropped a cricket in. thanks for all your help. Any recommendations for a terrestrial?
Brachypelma sp. are great and very easy to care for unless you're ready for a more nervous species like a GBB (beautiful but skittish).

The truth is though, there are SO many good, easy to care for terrestrials out there. If you're looking for something a little bigger, look at A. geniculata. The sky... er ground's the limit. :D

cold blood

Staff member
Honestly there is enough height, its just barren, which is probably why it took a little longer to acclimate. To improve it, just add 2 or 3 pieces of flat wood, lean then against the sides around the plant.

It looks pretty content in its web home, I wouldn't make drastic changes personally. Some wood will drastically improve her home.

You do need to go get a piece of acrylic or plexi cut for the top.....then drill out the ventilation. Screen tops are bad news in many ways from safety to husbandry.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Honestly there is enough height, its just barren, which is probably why it took a little longer to acclimate. To improve it, just add 2 or 3 pieces of flat wood, lean then against the sides around the plant.

It looks pretty content in its web home, I wouldn't make drastic changes personally. Some wood will drastically improve her home.

You do need to go get a piece of acrylic or plexi cut for the top.....then drill out the ventilation. Screen tops are bad news in many ways from safety to husbandry.
Figured I'd post some pics of the new and improved enclosure. Over all I think I'm happy with it. Also, I brought home a lasiodora itabunae sling (around 1") this is its setup. I really like the room the kk provides (about 2 1/2 x 6) but I'm not impressed with how the lids work. They are as tight as you know what and I wish that I had put more substrate in. Heres my question for the experts. I have a small water dish, a cap from a 12 oz water bottle. I used the file from a pair of nail clippers to make sure the edges were smooth. After adding the moss in i noticed the water completly evaporating in less than a day. Is this creating to much humidity? I also put alittle water in the corners here and there and have put plastic wrap around half of the vents as suggested in another post. Thanks for the help

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Figured I'd post some pics of the new and improved enclosure. Over all I think I'm happy with it. Also, I brought home a lasiodora itabunae sling (around 1") this is its setup. I really like the room the kk provides (about 2 1/2 x 6) but I'm not impressed with how the lids work. They are as tight as you know what and I wish that I had put more substrate in. Heres my question for the experts. I have a small water dish, a cap from a 12 oz water bottle. I used the file from a pair of nail clippers to make sure the edges were smooth. After adding the moss in i noticed the water completly evaporating in less than a day. Is this creating to much humidity? I also put alittle water in the corners here and there and have put plastic wrap around half of the vents as suggested in another post. Thanks for the help

cold blood

Staff member
The avic is much improved, although the wood should extend all the way to the top and be in the plants. Also, the screen top needs to be replaced. Not only is a danger, but it just lets out any humidity the water dish is providing, which dries things out fast and prevents any kind of a micro climate from forming.

The LI, at just 1" are too small for a KK, even the small ones...they're escapable for ts under 1.75", not to mention more room than the t needs. A 16oz deli cup is the perfect place to raise them up.

As for the water dish, you are experiencing the "wicking effect". Any, and I mean, ANY webbing or substrate touching the water dish will quickly wick away the water from the dish. Clear the edges every time you fill it. Its not going to cause an issue, as a 1" sling should be on damp substrate anyway...if you have issues, it means your ventilation is not adequate.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
The avic is much improved, although the wood should extend all the way to the top and be in the plants. Also, the screen top needs to be replaced. Not only is a danger, but it just lets out any humidity the water dish is providing, which dries things out fast and prevents any kind of a micro climate from forming.

The LI, at just 1" are too small for a KK, even the small ones...they're escapable for ts under 1.75", not to mention more room than the t needs. A 16oz deli cup is the perfect place to raise them up.

As for the water dish, you are experiencing the "wicking effect". Any, and I mean, ANY webbing or substrate touching the water dish will quickly wick away the water from the dish. Clear the edges every time you fill it. Its not going to cause an issue, as a 1" sling should be on damp substrate anyway...if you have issues, it means your ventilation is not adequate.
Just when I was starting to feel good about myself. I wanted to do the wood as you suggested just having trouble finding a piece of cork bark. I see that I can get it online for $5 and walmart also supposedly sells it. A small flat would fit perfect and I think I can cut it in half the long way and do a cross cross pattern. Between the area I live and work I have been to a petsmart,2 petcos,a petlife,two walmarts, and even checked target. Petco had xlarge pcs for $20 I just didn't want to spend the money. I'll find one somewhere.

I read somewhere on here that if the metal was coated it did not pose a danger, not sure if that is true. I was worried if I changed the lid it would make it to stuffy since there is no cross ventilation? If it wont i certainly have the technology to switch it out. Ultimately i would like to get one of jamies cages,just dont have the money right now.

The little guy is doing fine. He's too big to fit through the vents. It was the first thing he tried when we put him in there. He's been dragging the moss around at night which is causing the wicking:) I know everyone likes the deli cups. I'll have to check them out. I got the kk because I wanted it to have alittle bit of room to stroll around. The ground space is literally smaller than my hand. Thank you for all your help

cold blood

Staff member
If cost is an issue, just go to a river or lake and pick up some drift wood...its free....and its the only wood I use...I refuse to pay for something that's free and abundant.

As for housing, sterilite is the cheap alternative...no, its not quite as clear (but still clear enough for observation), but its cheap and easily ventilated. Personally, those cages from Jamies look fantastic, but I would rather have more ts....If I used those instead of sterilite, I would have 1/4 the ts I've got just due to the high housing costs....I advise spending your cash where its best served, and that's on more ts;)