Pinktoe molding question

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Hi all.

I bought my son a pinktoe for his birthday this past april. It just went through its first molt about two weeks ago. It made a nice web in its tree for this. Ever since the molt it has been pretty much staying in his web. I know it comes out so I don't think anything is wrong. Just think it uses the web as a chill spot instead of moving around the sides. Here's my problem. I haven't been able to get the molt out yet because it's always right next to it. And the web is in a hard to reach spot. I don't want to freak the spider out but i havent had a chance to get it when it's out of the web. My questions is this. Is it ok for the molt to just sit in the web until and oppertune time arises when I can grab it? Thanks for the help.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Thank you. I had read something somewhere that said to remove it immediately

Icculus

Arachnosquire
yeah, take everything you find on the internet with a grain of salt. most of its wrong.
I do. I read everything I can find and decide what makes sense. Funny how many opions on one subject can differ. Trust your instincts.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
You know what's really funny is that for the first four months I though we had a rosehair. I swear the store had the wrong label. I kept researching rose hair and everytime id think... that picture doesn't look right and the behavior is totally opposite. it was only after i goggled other specis that make good pets that I saw the pinktoe which caught me attention for obvious reasons

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
just trust the info on the boards here, thats what i do.
I hate how cocky it sounds to say "Trust only us!", but that's about the truth. I haven't found another reliable source of tarantula information yet.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I hate how cocky it sounds to say "Trust only us!", but that's about the truth. I haven't found another reliable source of tarantula information yet.
There are more sources that are reliable, just not in english ;)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You know what's really funny is that for the first four months I though we had a rosehair. I swear the store had the wrong label. I kept researching rose hair and everytime id think... that picture doesn't look right and the behavior is totally opposite. it was only after i goggled other specis that make good pets that I saw the pinktoe which caught me attention for obvious reasons
If you post a picture, I'm sure people here can tell you exactly what species of Avic it is. My bet's on Avic. avic. :)

Icculus

Arachnosquire
If you post a picture, I'm sure people here can tell you exactly what species of Avic it is. My bet's on Avic. avic. :)
Thank you for the help. I'm quite sure it's a pink toe. It's black with pink on the end of its feet. When the light hits it right there is a blue hue to its head. (Sorry I know that's not the right terminology ) now that I know it's a tree spider im working on getting an upright house for it. Then I want to get a terrestrial for the old tank. (Which is just a ten gallon aquarium) I know this might be a newb thing to say but petco now offers 25 different specis that are all captive breed and at least in my state (ma) they can only sell spiderlings(which I really like since it's hard to tell the age)

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Sorry I should have been more specific. It's not the versicolor just the regular pinktoe

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry I should have been more specific. It's not the versicolor just the regular pinktoe
So... there are over 50 species of "pink toe" tarantulas. :eek: Some that are available to the hobby include:
A. versicolor, avicularia, metallica, aurantiaca, purpurea, diversipes, geroldi, minatrix, etc. (Really, I only listed the ones I like :embarrassed:)

The common names of tarantulas can be quite misleading (e.g. bird eater) and are often used to describe the same darn species.
Yeah, I've seen those petco tarantula tubes. There have been several posts here showing pictures of clearly mislabled tarantulas from them. Some even have species mismatches between "common" common names. :meh:

Just a word of advice, second guess EVERYTHING the petco employee told you about tarantulas.

WARNING Incoming Unsolicited Advice, ignore as you see fit.

1. They don't drown, they need a water bowl with water (no gel, rocks, foam, etc.) A bottle cap will do for slings.
2. DO NOT use a humidity gauge with avics or any T for that matter, they die super easy in stuffy containers. I keep my substrate mostly dry with a nice big water dish.
3. No heat mats, lamps, rocks, or anything that goes inside or on the enclosure that will add localized heat. It will kill them.
4. They do not enjoy being handled, they will never enjoy it. Sad, I know. :sorry:
5. Don't feed immediately after a molt wait several days. Their fangs need to harden.
6. They eat once or twice a WEEK, not daily. If they refuse food within 24 hours, take it out. They won't eat before a molt.

Good luck, enjoy that avic, post a pic of the setup if you want any advice. Ask around, people really know their stuff here.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
If you post a picture of your enclosure and the tarantula itself we can definitely help you make sure you're providing the best care to make it most comfortable.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Please don't buy slings from petco
:(
There are expert breeders here, look through the classifieds often able to sell you slings, juvies and adults at a far better price.
If you're going for a sling, that 10gallon is going to be useless for quite some time ;)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you're going for a sling, that 10gallon is going to be useless for quite some time ;)
@Icculus on the note above, a 32 oz to 64 oz deli container is actually perfect for avic slings.

The reason such a big enclosure is bad is that the larger the disparity in size, the harder it is for them to find food. I have my ADULT in an approximately 4 gallon enclosure.
20160326_095032.jpg
They really don't get THAT big. Size is often exaggerated. Mine is about 4" dls tops.