Pinktoe Humidity

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have read conflicting comments on caresheets for these guys. One says they are perfectly happy in low humidity. And the other says they need it about 80%. And, to mist it. Which is it???? I've been keepin it around 75-80% and misting. After misting, it goes close to 90% for a while. Which is the right way???

Last edited:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Stop keeping track of the exact percentage of humidity, your tarantula will not explode with a 5% difference so you're only stressing yourself out. Take whatever humidity-measuring devices you have and throw them right in the trash. {D

Avicularia likes high humidity and good ventilation. Mist the tank regularly, or pour water into the substrate for a longer humidity boost (just get it wet, don't make soup out of it) and just be sure you let it dry out at least once a week so it doesn't mold. Humidity is humidity, 80 or 85 or 90 doesn't matter as much as caresheets would like you to think.

(Most caresheets are absolute crap and you should ignore them anyway. Half the time they claim Ts need 85+ temps or something ridiculous like that - and I've seen G. rosea caresheets that told people they needed to worry about keeping the enclosure humid, which is as far from the truth as it gets.)

Last edited:

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have low ventilation, keep it dryer. High ventilation, keep it more humid. I have slings in vials with plastic lids and I keep them on the dryer side, wetting about once every 2 weeks or so and letting it dry out. My bigger ones in kritter keepers on their sides have higher ventilation, so their substrate dries out quicker. I have to wet them more often.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pretty much just a quick mist on the substrate and each side of the tank and you're good.

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I forgot to say...once or maybe twice a week depending on how fast it disappears.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok thanks.

Sometimes I just get impatient about gettin my questions answered that I think that a Caresheet is all I have to go by. But, I do worry about a lot of stuff for no reason a lot tho.

Last edited:

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As I allready posted in this thread I don't agree with the high humidity levels for Avicularia spec. I would recommend to keep the substrate bone dry and only spraying a couple of drops into the webbing from time to time.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive tooken care of a a.avic for a while. I just made sure their was allot of ventalation and only mist the container until the substrate is wet, then let it sit for 2 or 3 days. Then mist again.l

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have an adult A. avic who I keep similar to my G. rosea, always a full water dish but otherwise no extra misting. I've had her for a year with no problems. However, I would recommend that avic slings should be kept in slightly more humid conditions.

JNG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks.

thanks 4 the input everybody. This helps