Pinktoe Colony

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How safe is it to house multiple Avicularia Avicularia together? I have wanted to get a small colony going since I heard that this is relatively safe to do. can somebody give me feedback. I have one right now but I want more if this can be done without too much risk of cannibalism.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They say the avicularia can live in a community, however, I have heard this is only a temporary solution and what you end up with is only one really fat tarantula. If you don't mind losing one or more, it might be worth a try, but I wouldn't do it. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Ralph

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I agree. Except for breeding purposes, I wouldn't recommend cohabitating any species.

Cheers,
Dave

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The key phrase is 'relatively safe'. Without stepping on any toes like happened recently, suffice it to say that many Avicularia, Hysterocrates, and Poecilotheria are known to be tolerant and even somewhat 'social', particularly when younger and related. However, no tarantula species in the pet trade is truly social.

The conclusion: go ahead and try if you want, but never put any number of tarantulas together unless you are willing to accept that in the end you might only have one, or even none. I've read reports where a 'colony' did fine for over a year or more only for the owner to wake up one morning to find that one T had ambushed another - and not always for feeding, either. Sometimes they'll just off their room mate for the sake of opening up some space.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only way it's safe.....

Is if you have no problem with losing spiders and money as when they are kept together it is only a matter of time before someone gets munched. Avics and pokes are better about it than most but they still munch each other so unless you have disposable $ which I don't and no concern for the individual spiders I wouldn't keep them communaly it's only asking for trouble.
Phil

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everybody for the quick replies. I will no longer consider the idea. THe lives of my pets ar emore important to me than being experimental.