pinkies?

pdrake

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how long should i leave a pinkie in with a t if it doesn't eat it right away? thanks.

got a new one today. costa rican zebra.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi,
Myself, the only t I have that will eat a pinkie, is my blondi. Its usually gone within 2 hours. However, I'd say overnight.
Peace,
Gillian

pdrake

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks gillian

well, it didn't take long for the new t to get on the pinkie. i watched for a few minutes and she seemed stressed when i put it in. i came over and typed my question here, went back and pinkie was in her mouth. she's been happily munching away for about an hour.

only $25 bucks for a 3-4" seemanni - Costa Rican Zebra (Stripe Knee).

hope that was a good deal.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
How Long to Leave Pinkies??

Originally posted by Gillian
Hi,
Myself, the only t I have that will eat a pinkie, is my blondi. Its usually gone within 2 hours. However, I'd say overnight.
Peace,
Gillian
I'm sorry, but I could never leave a pinky to struggle for life overnight. The last time I did that was years ago when I had a Haitian boa baby. Watching that baby mouse struggle to live with no food, no water, and no mommy to warm it really pulled at my heart. I decided I no longer wanted a snake and I traded it i for an iguana.

Now days, I've gotten to the point where I can feed pinkies to my spiders. The thing is, I expect them to eat them right away or at the very least, within an hour or two. If they don't, I take the pinky out and pass it on to the next spider until I find someone who is willing to take it. (I only have a few pinky eaters so I have learned to always buy 1 or 2 less than I need. Then when someone I was counting on to eat the pinky decides that's not what he/she wants, I have someone else lined up to eat it.

I imagine this could be harder when you only have 1 spider. Luckily, Perry said his critter is already munching. That's encouraging, because now that my own A. seemani has molted (It's a female!!!), I can keep her in the "pinky lineup" :)

Wysi

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i've solved that problem wysi by never feeding live. all the rodents i order in bulk for my snakes are frozen. they're thawed and so they never suffer.

i made sure to research the company i order them from and they're well-fed and frozen humanely before death.

maybe that would help you. it generally isn't a good idea to feed live prey to snakes anyway because it's more of a pain to get some of them transferred to frozen/thawed. i own two adult colombian rainbow boas who have several scars because the woman who previously owned them insisted on feeding them live their whole lives. :/