Pinkie oddity.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
So, I finally found a place to buy live pinkies this afternoon, and picked one up. First, it went to my 3.5 inch B. smithi, who seemed to be completely terrified of it. My hand has less of an effect than that little mouse did. So, after an hour of watching my poor redknee huddled in the opposite corner of it's tank, I took the pinkie out. On to the slightly bigger Rosehair, which has been eating finically, but not yet stopped. Well, the pinkine managed to get down the burrow, and now the rosey almost appears to be guarding it. It's standing over it, and not biting it. I heard a squeeling, and thought maybe I'd gotten a success, but come to find out, The T was standing on the pinkie. Now, it's back to the guard position. almost sitting on this pinkie, and not even trying to eat it.

Anyhow, I'll give it the day, and see what happens. If it's still there tommorrow night, how the hell do I get it out of the burrow? And can I freeze it if it's still alive for maybe a future molt?

Bill

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto

Anyhow, I'll give it the day, and see what happens. If it's still there tommorrow night, how the hell do I get it out of the burrow? And can I freeze it if it's still alive for maybe a future molt?

Bill
You could try some cheese...:?
And if the darn pinkie doesn't want to be eaten, freeze the bastard!
So after a T molts you just put the pinkie(wrapped in plastic/ziplock bag) in some warm water to thaw it.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'll bet ya it gets munched tonite, after all the lites go out..

Ernie

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Food terror"

hi

Well,, I learnt that they can spook out for "new live food".

My 6 inch female chaco went into "Usambara-defense" position when I introduced an anole lizzard. Completly scared of it.
I mean my chaco is so docile, I even push her gently to move over to let me clean out cricket remains, so latley she puts the cricket remains at the same spot in front of her,,guess she got fed up with me pushing her:D

She even made a loud "CHUNK" sound into to substrate since she missed the attack of the anole and her fangs hit the substrate.

She stayed that way for about 15 minutes with legs up in the air and she was really big looking that way and finally I took a pencil and gently touched her legs and she started to take them down one after another until she had a normal T position :D.

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
leg stroking

speaking of that... whats the deal with leg stroking out of threat displays with moderately non-defensive species ... my curleys if they ever threat as well as my roseas seem almost receptive to the pencil action to relax the threat position?

wondering-
looseyfur

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Nope, still not eaten. all the way in the bottom of the burrow. yay. Tommorrow I go digging.

Bill

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just fed a live pinkie to my 2 inch H maculata spiderling. It is taking forever to just die. It isnt thrashing much but it is still alive and squeaking sometimes. I thought these guys had potent venom. My pinktoes, Usumbara, L parahybana and A seemani made quicker kills.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the rosey almost appears to be guarding it. It's standing over it, and not biting it. I heard a squeeling, and thought maybe I'd gotten a success, but come to find out, The T was standing on the pinkie. Now, it's back to the guard position. almost sitting on this pinkie, and not even trying to eat it.
I had almost the same exact response from one of my rosehairs! She just sat on it like she was roosting an egg. I watched for about 10 minutes as she toyed with it and felt it all over. She seemed confused as to whether or not it was food. She did something really strange though... she scratched it with her fangs instead of stabbing. The pinky squealed when she did this and then she walked away from it.

I tossed the same pinky into the cage with my larger rose hair and she made no mistake about it... within 10 seconds of being in there I had a well fed spider :)

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

rosies are unpredictible! some are sweeties! others are demons(jacen's word,lol)!

James

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is a sweetie but I have seen some hellish Rosehairs. They are the exception to every rule in the tarantula world.

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pinkies

Bill,

Only a few of my Brachy's will munch on a pinkie, that includes, emilia, smithi, boehmi (better), curly hair (better) ruhnaui (seldom). Especially with a B. smithi, they are less likely to munch on a pinkie. My 6" female smithi just shed last week, I'll see if she munches on a pinkie this time, she hasn't touched one in the past.

Best (top 5) pinkie eaters I have (in order)
1) Goliath Pinkfoot, snapped up in seconds, even the 2 inchers!
2) Goliath Birdeater, of course
3) Chaco Giants, love pinkies, can't get enough of them.
4) Brazilian Blacks
5) Brazilian Pink

and Chilobrachy species, love them! (pictured)

More importantly, be careful of where you purchase pinkies from, some pet stores spray anti-mite chemicals on the substrate or use ceder, etc as a substrate, this will kill your T, so always ask how your pinkies are housed.

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Several days ago I tried feeding my(H longipedum ?) (see java birdeater thread) a pinkie it hovered over it for 5 hours before I felt bad for the squealing pinkie and gave it to my sinaloan milksnake. here is one of the pics I took of the ordeal.

Wayne H

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
how the hell do I get it out of the burrow? And can I freeze it if it's still alive for maybe a future molt?
I bought a bunch of forceps off ebay. I wasn't happy at all with the transaction, so I won't forward the details, but I now own forceps -- curved and straight -- ranging from 6" up to 18". Very useful. If I'm tired and more prone to slip-ups, the forceps with which I deal with some of my nastier scorpions become longer. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Suffering through this cold, or whatever it is, I just breezed through and didn't post here. The first (and only) time I tried to feed my rosie a pinkie, she hissed quite loudly, whirled around, and then blanketed the poor thing in hair. So, I guess you could say, the pinkie turned into a fuzzie..=D

Peace,
Gillian

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I had the same experience as Conipto. I just tossed in a small DEAD fuzzy to my large Aphonopelma eutylenum. She has always been a voracious eater of any type of invertebrate. As soon as the fuzzy hit the ground she started flicking her abdomen with her fourth legs like crazy. I couldn't tell if she actually flicked any hairs off because I didn't open the cage to find out. She was absolutely out of control with the flicking. It looked like she was about to take flight her legs were moving so fast. Eventually she backed herself up the side of the tank before stopping the flicking. Her reaction really surprised me since she is such a ferocious eater. I have never seen her turn down a cricket, mealworm, mealworm beetle, or the occasional moth. I shut the lights off and left her alone for the night. I suppose I'll just stick to invertebrates with her from now on. I only tossed the fuzzy in because one of my snakes passed on it. I don't like to feed mice that have been in one snakes cage to any of my other snakes. The tarantula seemed like a good choice. I guess not!