Pinkie Feeding

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all, my a.geniculata receltly molted from 3"-4" and has a rather small abdomen now which i assume is normal due to the energy she had to expend when she molted. Now i've heard that a thawed pinkie would be one of the best things to feed her when she's ready in a week or so to fatten her up nicely - t's just dont look right to me with small abdomens. The last thing i want is leftovers i must clean out that came from a mouse. Will she eat the whole pinkie? or am i going to be cleaning up blood and bones all the while trying not to get ravaged by the spider while digging around in her cage?

any input and/or advice on feeding alternatives would be appreciated, thanks!

Mark

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Typically, if anything is left over, it is just a ball of mush or dried leftovers. I've had T's leave nothing to remove when eating a pinkie. If it does leave something behind, you'll smell it rather quickly if you don't get it out in time.

Botar

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even if your T east as much as it can of the pinkie, there will still some remains to remove (the bolus). The amount of the remains left is the question. At 4" it shouldn't have a problem consuming a really small pinkie. Get the smallest you can find to be sure the amount of remains is minimal. Then, remove the bolus as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Atrax

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Atrax,

Will the pinkie bolus have any moisture left in it if the T consumes "all" of the pinkie? I would assume they would suck all of the moisture out of it if they can consume all that is consumable. The reason I ask is because my T. blondi always dumps the bolus in the water dish... so it's always "mushy".

Botar

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Atrax,

Will the pinkie bolus have any moisture left in it if the T consumes "all" of the pinkie? I would assume they would suck all of the moisture out of it if they can consume all that is consumable. The reason I ask is because my T. blondi always dumps the bolus in the water dish... so it's always "mushy".

Botar
I have found that if the tarantula is really hungry, there may be nothing left at all when they are done eating a pinkie. If there is a bolus, the amount of moisture in it seems to depend at least partly on substrate. Boluses left on dry vermiculite or peat dessicate beautifully and leave relatively inoffensive remains. Those left in more humid circumstances--on moist soil, for example--can be really nasty. Attached is a picture of a bolus that was once a fuzzy mouse.

Joy

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joy,

The fact that you answered my question is wonderful... thank you.

The fact that you actually photographed the bolus from the remains of a fuzzy mouse... well, lets just say I'm glad you have finally arrived... you "fit in" great here.

Botar

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah

My H.Gigas is fed on fuzzies and always leaves small lil balls, if she had not been hungry but she left notihng but a tail, when she was hungry.

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Joy,

The fact that you answered my question is wonderful... thank you.

The fact that you actually photographed the bolus from the remains of a fuzzy mouse... well, lets just say I'm glad you have finally arrived... you "fit in" great here.

Botar
LOL Well, let me return the compliment. It's great to be with people who receive a picture of dehydrated mouse remains in the spirit in which it was meant ;)

Joy

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Ahhhh, I see Joy has found the attach pic function. We hope to see many more of your most excellent pics on here Joy. :)

Be sure you will, Scott. I have a major incentive, as I am anxious to graduate from Arachnopeon status ;)

Joy