Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus)

bluedevil445

Arachnopeon
Hello I'm new to the tarantula hobby and i just got my first T a couple weeks ago and I've actually posted questions of what actual species she was because it was mislabeled in the store. But anyway I'm worried about that she is very shy and i don't know if she is eating correctly. I have like 2-3 crickets in there and so far I have only found one half-eaten. The T is approximatly 4" and it looks like the in back and under it's abdomen there seems to be a lack of hair. Could this lack of hair be because it has not eating well or it is just a male and is close to death? Thank You for any input!

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
lack of hair could be that

it is going to molt. Pull the crickets out if it isnt eating them..you can try them again at another time.
If it is missing hair on its abdomen, and it doesnt want to eat,those are both signs of a molt. If it is going to molt and their are live crickets in the tank, the crickets will eat on your tarantula while it is molting.
More experienced T keepers will be able to offer you more advice, but for now, I would get the crickets out, and just observe, not disturb it.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is not uncommon for there to be bald spots on the abdomens of new world species as they tend to kick off their utricating hairs when stressed or threatened. As long as the abdomen remains plump, don't be concerned about it not eating right away. It may take the T a while to acclimate.

Do you suspect it is a male? Have you checked for tibial hooks? If it isn't a mature male on it's last leg, it may be in premolt. Are the bald patches a light or dark color? A dark color is an indication of premolt.

All in all, I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned as long as the abdomen doesn't start shrinking.

Botar

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like she said...... TAKE THE CRIX OUT... you dont want them to eat your T do you... :) hope you get through this molt( If it is one :))