Pink zebra beauty behavior

qtfelicia

Arachnopeon
I am new to the hobby and about 2 months ago picked up my first T, a mature female pzb, at an expo. The seller had let me know she recently molted, and that she typically eats a couple times a week. In the first month I was able to get her to eat (crickets) twice but she has since stopped eating. She’s also super active lately.
Since I’m a new owner I’m just hoping someone can let me know if her behavior is normal, or if maybe there could be something wrong?

for her home I have her set up on some eco earth and she has a little cork hide but she only goes in there at night and is frequently just walking around all over the place.

Here’s a pic of her today, the other two are older.

Attachments

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Seems like she's alright. Sometimes Ts decide not to eat for no particular reason. And I hear that happens quite often with E. campestratus, they are iffy eaters.
Don't worry too much, offer food every week and remove it if she doesn't grab it.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Seems to me as if you got yourself a mature male, the behaviour would fit and I'm almost sure I can see some bulbs in the last picture.

Could you post a clear picture of the pedipalps again?

Edit:
If I'm right I would contact the seller and get your money back (at least most of it) or find another solution, because this should've been perfectly clear when he sold the T to you.

Last edited:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Seems to me as if you got yourself a mature male, the behaviour would fit and I'm almost sure I can see some bulbs in the last picture.
I don't see any indication of palpal bulbs on this spider. It may not be female, it doesn't appear to be a mature male.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, I may very well be mistaken but this looks at least suspicious (that's why I asked for a clearer picture):

bulb.jpg

The behaviour would fit perfectly and it also looks kinda leggy. ;)

@qtfelicia If it's indeed a mature male the behaviour would be absolutely normal. Not eating and roaming around a lot, looking for a mate, is what mature males do.
I hope some more experienced users will chime in... @cold blood @Ungoliant @The Grym Reaper @boina @Vanessa?

cold blood

Staff member
we would need a better pic of the palps...particularly the under side of the palps....i dont see anything difinitive in these pics.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Mature males of this species are usually unmistakable. The ones I've met are extremely dark and have legs for days... they're huge. This does not look like a mature male to me.
My girl is pretty sedentary, but she does have short spurts where she is active and does a lot of remodeling of her enclosure. They also don't have voracious appetites, and this one is very chubby, so not eating is not unusual.
I would not be concerned.