pink toes together??

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was wondering, i have read that a few ppl keep pink toes together.
i even found a care sheet saying that pink toes can be kept together if thay have a big enofe terraruim and enofe leaves and branches.
any one hear dose this??

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i woudnl't do that especially if its
male and female
or
male-male
i'm not sure if you have multiple girl
i only have a pink toe

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You will eventially end up with 1 fat tarantula if you do that

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My male and female cohabbited for roughly 3-4 months without any problems, but that was for breeding purposes. I would suggest just keeping 1 per cage.

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my female ate a male after 1 month of peaceful cohabitation. so you can never be sure with group setups.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Communal Pinktoes

I've seen them kept like this at a pet store before. I would say don't keep them together unless it's absolutely necessary to. They will most likely end up killing each other. It's just a matter of time. I wouldn't see any problem if they needed to be kept together for a short period (like at the pet store)until they can have their own houses. Just my opinion though.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yea im not going to even try it, i just heard of ppl doing it and wanted to hear what others had to say.

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I second that you should not keep them together. I woke up the other morning short 1 T.....and i didnt have far to look.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
it could be worth a try raising up slings together but how long that will last i couldnt say.dunno if ever heard anyone raising Avic slings to maturity being housed together.avics seem to be more communal as where the Poecs are alot more social and in the wild will live together in large groups

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A. minatrix seem to be a good Avic for communal keeping.

-Sean
I'm pretty sure almost every Avicularia sp. can be kept communally, but I say Avicularia avicularia would be the best choice.. because if they were to cannibalize it would be easy to replace; they are inexpensive and common.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As stated earlier, my male and female cohabitted for about 4 months, then I removed the male. The female is currently holding a sac and the male is currently eating a cricket. In my mind, I'd say my "cohabitation" was a success.

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it natural for a male and female to cohabite? I bought my two pink toes at the same time and they where cohabiting in the store with 3 others at the time. I have them now separated in their own enclosures until I can be sure of their gender. I keep their enclosures right next to each other but they're always close together through the glass. I've been starting to think they were like that for a reason and me separating them just made them miss each other.

Should I bring them together again as they were before? :( I feel very bad they want to be close to each other.

TheRuiner

Arachnopeon
I just put a juvenile pink toe in a 8x8x14 and he/she has plenty of room, I'm temped to put another in with them, you know for $29.99 worth of science. I guess I see the consensus here on whether that's a good idea but I'm all about learning though experience. Perhaps I'll be back with a similar story to the others here :)

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I just put a juvenile pink toe in a 8x8x14 and he/she has plenty of room, I'm temped to put another in with them, you know for $29.99 worth of science. I guess I see the consensus here on whether that's a good idea but I'm all about learning though experience. Perhaps I'll be back with a similar story to the others here :)
I urge you to reconsider. Cohabitation/communal setups need to be established from the start. As in, two siblings growing together. If you add a second spider to the home of an established spider, it will very likely end in disaster. Even the most successfully kept communal species, Monocentropus balfouri, has limitations with how they can be introduced. Simply adding a another spider to an established enclosure is a definite risk.

Secondly, you mention $29.99 like it's not a lot of money. This is true, it's not a large investment in the 'science' from your perspective. However, it is the life of an animal that will be wasted if the 'experiment' fails. Possibly both, if they are both mortally wounded in the encounter.

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
This original thread was from 11 years ago... I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure no one in the hobby today considers them to be a communal species, and probably for very good reason. I agree with the comment above. Wasting $30 and the life of a tarantula for an experiment that's likely debunked already is not a good idea.

TheRuiner

Arachnopeon
Ok, Ok, I see both your points,.. I didn't mean to sound like I wanted to sentence anyone to death. I guess this T will just get to live out it's days in a space with room to breath. This is my first arboreal and I'm already attached to it.

Just to further explain my reasoning; this Avicularia avicularia I just bought from a pet store with maybe half a dozen of it's siblings still on the shelf, if I'd put two together they would've been sack mates. I suppose I'll keep away from this experiment all the same, I would feel too guilty to see one of these creatures die like that. thanks for talking some sense into me

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just to further explain my reasoning; this Avicularia avicularia I just bought from a pet store with maybe half a dozen of it's siblings still on the shelf, if I'd put two together they would've been sack mates.
Sometimes sac-mates will tolerate each other for a little while as slings, but sooner or later, you'll end up with one fat spider.

TheRuiner

Arachnopeon
I don't know why it keeps flipping the picture, but here's where the pink toe's living now. I feel like i need to add one more thing to make use of all the height.

Attachments