Pink Toes to infinity and beyond

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all,

wondering if somebody could help clear something up for me. The more I look around on the internet the more kinds of Pink Toes I find. Then I also read some of them have more than one common name. It's all very confusing, so I was wondering if anybody has some idea just how many kinds of Pink Toe there are. I thought (doubtlessly naively) there is a common Pink Toe and a Purple Pink Toe, the first one known as Avicularia Avicularia.

The reason I am asking is that I got two Pink Toes, advertised as A.A., knowing one is male and hoping the other one is female, but I now see so many scientific names staring with Avicularia showing up I am starting to wonder if they are even the same species. They look similar but not the same, and I am easiliy confused, you see.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello all,

wondering if somebody could help clear something up for me. The more I look around on the internet the more kinds of Pink Toes I find. Then I also read some of them have more than one common name. It's all very confusing, so I was wondering if anybody has some idea just how many kinds of Pink Toe there are. I thought (doubtlessly naively) there is a common Pink Toe and a Purple Pink Toe, the first one known as Avicularia Avicularia.

The reason I am asking is that I got two Pink Toes, advertised as A.A., knowing one is male and hoping the other one is female, but I now see so many scientific names staring with Avicularia showing up I am starting to wonder if they are even the same species. They look similar but not the same, and I am easiliy confused, you see.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

There are MANY avicularia species out there but there are only so many in the hobby. Number of them that are well known or just known all together are nine. These are the only ones i knew of because botar has all of these for sale (of couse when i say for sale it only means if they are in stock). These are Avic-Avic, Avicularia bicegoi, Avicularia braunshauseni, Avicularia geroldi, Avicularia huriana, Avicularia metallica, Avicularia minatrix, Avicularia purpurea,Avicularia versicolor. If there are more than these in the hobbies than as you can tell I'm still just an amatuer because I don't know of any others.

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I never cease to be amazed how quickly you guys reply. Took all the while of making a cup of tea. Thank you very much!

So how do I find out if both my spiders are indeed Avic Avic?

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These are the two. The one on the ground is one of my actual spiders, the other one (vertical) a picture I have pinched from the supplier, but absolutely the spitting image of the male adult I have.

The reason I have no good picture of him is because the photographer ran away when I moved him to his tank and he bolted up my arm the moment I picked him up.

Attachments

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So they are definitely the same species then. Am greatly relieved. Now I'll keep my fingers crossed Alegre is female.

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated!

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how do you post pics?? will photo bucket codes work?? ill post some versicolor pics
I clicked the paper clip icon at the top when replying, and then uploaded the pictures from my computer like you would in an e-mail...

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So they are definitely the same species then. Am greatly relieved. Now I'll keep my fingers crossed Alegre is female.

Actually, from what i understand the whole Avic genus is pretty messed up. However, you can probably be fairly certain that both of yours are A. avics. They are awesome, fun T's! i adore the one i recently gave my niece!!

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

no problem bro but yea there both A. Avic

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
these are versicolors not my pictures but you get the idea
<edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

Damien

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow. That is one impressive looking spider. I now see what you meant by it's not hard to tell the difference. I wouldn't have guessed them the same species. So is that the one people refer to as Purple Pink Toes then? Or is that yet another one?

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
how do you post pics?? will photo bucket codes work?? ill post some versicolor pics
You only get some much space for files on here I find it's easier to use photo bucket as well and yes the image codes work great!!!!

I'll be getting my A. versicolor on Tuesday and I'm soooooooooo excited!! :clap: