Pink Toes to infinity and beyond

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh you still have them communal?
I wish i'd bought some of Howard's versi's now lol I only have the one, which i bought from Lee last year. Thats it in the pic above ^^ :D
Yip all 5 are still communing lol. They are doing really well together, all feeding well until now. Howard reckoned they should be ok to stay communaly for 2 more moults but I'm going to separate them after this moult.

Yours is gorgeous Becky. Mine will be that in the future hopefully. I really worry about these guys.

Who is this Sven of whom you speak?
Hi Damien (waves in the hopes you can see me lol)
Sven Koeppler is in Germany. He posts lists of T's for sale on a couple of forums in the uk.
Elaine

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yours will be fine Elaine :) I am quite pleased i have got it to this stage as i only bought this one sling, and i got it to the 2" stage :D Wahey! Was my 2nd/3rd spider too :D 1/1 good result for a versi :D LOL

However, i have bad luck with other blooming things!!! e.g Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, and i've also lost 2x Aphonopelma bicoloratum 0.5cm slings...grrr

Yeah as Elaine said Damien, Sven Koppler is a dealer and breeder in Germany. He ships to the uk and other places... very good :) rate him 10/10. I've bought adults and slings off of him before and have been very impressed!

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You have done a great job with yours Becky. You hear so many stories of people losing Avic's so getting yours from tiny to 2" is a worth celebrating. I hope all of mine do as well as yours.

I havent lost any T's yet and I'm dreading it ever happening. I get really attached like you do so its always a worry especially with the tiny ones.

Elaine xx

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's always hard...

I've had T's since September last year and so far i've lost:

2x Aphonopelma bicoloratum
1x Brachypelma vagans
1x Citharischius crawshayi (adult female)
1x Yamia sp."Koh Samui"
1x Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
4x Chinese mantids (Tendora sinensis)
1x Orchid Mantis (Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii)

And it never gets easier :( It sucks everytime!

As with everything though, it's survival of the fittest. I keep my T's as they should be kept, so i can do no more really... mistakes do happen (i've dropped vials etc before lol) but not caused any fatalities from it..luckily.. *touches wood*

Edit: Oh and a Heteroscodra maculata spiderling, and i actually "lost" a Brachypelma albopilosum..it must of climbed out of an air hole.. i never found it lol

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh boy that must really suck to lose them like that. Sorry to hear you have had so many losses. I dont suppose it gets easier either.

Elaine xx

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nah it doesnt.. it sucks everytime!
But it has to happen i guess... unfortunately

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do the spiderlings of A. sp Amazonica look similiar to A. sp Peru? I just seen adult pics of both spiders but not lings of the Peru sp.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All avic spiderlings (except versi, purpurea and laeta) look the same lol They're all pink with red and black abdominal stripes...

No way of identifying an avic as a spiderling im afraid

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Becky, I was actually thinking of A. geroldi because they have a very distinct pattern as lings. But I guess no such luck with Amazonica. I see your point trying to compare A. avic complex is almost impossible.

Thanks Pinkfoot. I have been checking out that forum the past few days and they have some great threads on Avics. Really interesting stuff.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
http://www.arborealtarantulas.org/

Welcome, Steven. :)

The above site is dedicated to Arboreals and is run by Michael Jacobi. A very poorly supported site, it remains one where true enthusiasts of the arboreals can shop for info and share knowledge.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Becky, I was actually thinking of A. geroldi because they have a very distinct pattern as lings. But I guess no such luck with Amazonica. I see your point trying to compare A. avic complex is almost impossible.
Avicularia geroldi spiderlings are another distinct one yes :) The bright red stripes, look almost like arboreal Pamphobeteus spiderlings lol
Amazonica, avicularia, bicegoi etc the bluey/green avics.. all the spiderlings look the same. I have an Avicularia sp. "Amazonica" spiderling coming soon, along with 2x Avicularia laeta and 2x Avicularia bicegoi. The breeder assures me the parents came from Brazil and so are the real thing. Normally i'd of ordered two, but i don't wanna pay that money for 2 of the wrong things. Laeta can't be messed up, even as spiderlings they're distinguishable.. bright blue like metallica, then brownand gold as adults.. not much to mess it up with really. So it's a case of waiting until it grows up to see what it turns into. If it's not the real amazonica i have intentions of keeping it and labelling (yet another!) as Avicularia sp. and not breeding it. If it's the real thing (and i'll consult Ray Gabriel on it when its older and identifiable) then i will breed (if i can find a real male/female - depending on which i get) and get some of the real things out into the hobby :D
There is such a mix up in amazonica as there are "two forms" One, the real one, is from Brazil. The other, the not "real" one is caught in Peru. Which is why the WC spiderlings are being sold as amazonica and turning out to be the new Peru Purple species. We need to name and shame the dealers that are doing this, to try to protect the Genus

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
http://www.arborealtarantulas.org/

Welcome, Steven. :)

The above site is dedicated to Arboreals and is run by Michael Jacobi. A very poorly supported site, it remains one where true enthusiasts of the arboreals can shop for info and share knowledge.

I am emailing Michael Jacobi for a membership now :D Great way of ensuring people that join are genuine! Thanks for the link

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:D Welcome!

As I said, the site is very slow, but the info therein is strong! ;)