Pink Toed

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
she went and bought a book on Ts last night she said she wants to know as much about them as she can before she gets another one!
You'll want to exercise caution with that. A lot of tarantula books are outdated and not much better than pet store advice (which is mostly dreadful.) This really is the best place to get current information.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I believe in getting as much information as I can on a subject from multiple sources, and then critically evaluating.

I realise she is only 10 though! :rofl:

Which book did she get?

When I started out, I was recommended ‘Tarantula Keeper’s Guide’ by Stanley and Marguerite Schultz, and ‘Care and Keeping of Tarantulas’ by Michael Jacobi - who I believe graces this forum from time to time. :D

Of course, this forum is a ‘living document’ and is a massive repository of tarantula experience and knowledge! :geek:

Going back to your loss, I am becoming increasingly convinced it was a random medical incident caused by an undetected internal health problem.

(Or, could the cricket have had a toxic substance on it somehow? :eek:)

Only recently I ordered two spiderlings - one was very shy and one was very confident and inquisitive. I popped them both in identical mini-enclosures - that are currently being enjoyed by 5 slings of similar species. Sadly, that very afternoon, I found the inquisitive one (who had been happily exploring just a few hours earlier) hanging dead from a fake leaf by one leg. I spoke to the vendor to see if it was something I did wrong. They couldn’t see anything and very kindly refunded me - I didn’t request this - even though the animal hadn’t died in transit and they weren’t liable to do so.

There is a reason that there are so many eggs in an eggsac (from hundreds to thousands, I believe). Like all animals, they are flesh and blood - well, exoskeleton and hemolymph…

Last edited:

siena1

Arachnopeon
I asked the same question honestly because usually we go in person and get his crickets so we can pick out the fat juicy ones for him :p but this time i ordered them from an online cricket farm so i was wondering if maybe that was an issue since it was so random. That was literally the second one he ate out of the 100 i ordered. That's the book she got! The Tarantula Keepers Guide by Stanley. She's already half way through it :0 I don't know if the issue was the crickets i fed him but i think ill play it safe and not do that again just incase. Next time we will just go and get them like we have been.

cold blood

Staff member
Well as i said this is our first T and i just wanted to ask for some advice. The bowl is never dry though theres always water in it for him. Maybe its the type of enclosure ive had him in? If theres a better one to have one in id be more then glad to get a different one once we decide its time to get a different one! Following with a picture of the enclosure!

View attachment 393311
That is a bugarium.....those are death traps for avics...reason...top only ventilation. This doesnt allow for air movement and this is exactly what you want to avoid with an avic.

The set up is also all wrong. Ground hides are useless and any wood should be positioned vertically.

These also come with a screen top....unfortunately the set up is literally exactly as I predicted.

I didnt keep it like hot shower moist but i did spray it when it looked dry and i always kept water in the bowl for him and stuff i feel so bad because i dont know what caused it and id hate for us to get a different one for her and then it die too
this coupled with the above will bring down any avic

siena1

Arachnopeon
Ok so next time go with a different one? So no ground hide for him? Do you have any recommendations on the best kind of space to get for the next one? I just want to do the best thing i can for it.

Did it ever build a web shelter?
He did once on the side of the enclosure and then it was gone a few days later. We weren't sure what happened to it though i figured he just took it down.

Guys please excuse me if i use the wrong terminology or ask a "dumb" question because like I said we are first timers and we are still trying to learn as much as we can. I really appreciate all the help we can get though! I wish i would've found this site before hand!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A healthy Avic typically will build itself a nice web shelter near the top or within decorations (or the whole enclosure if the enclosure is small), within a few days or (rarely) weeks. If it never really constructed one, something may have been wrong when you got it. Sometimes a T may not completely recover from a traumatic shipping event, improper care at a pet store, or (rarely) adjustment from wild to captivity. A lot of Avicularia avicularia bought at pet stores are WC, and could potentially have some kind of parasite (although rarely), or other ailment, or could just be really old for the species.

siena1

Arachnopeon
Ok so if he built one and tore it down it could've been something going on before hand? That was the one and only time I ever saw him actually make one

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Ok so if he built one and tore it down it could've been something going on before hand? That was the one and only time I ever saw him actually make one
You do know in the future that if you get another avic they are arboreal? So it was never going to use a hide on the ground. It's better to prop a nice piece of cork bark up at 45 degrees then put some fake plants at the top, then they will do the rest. As the enclosure was there was very little for them to actually make a burrow with

siena1

Arachnopeon
You do know in the future that if you get another avic they are arboreal? So it was never going to use a hide on the ground. It's better to prop a nice piece of cork bark up at 45 degrees then put some fake plants at the top, then they will do the rest. As the enclosure was there was very little for them to actually make a burrow with

Ok great i will do that thank you! So a bigger enclosure would be better to have then too?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Ok great i will do that thank you! So a bigger enclosure would be better to have then too?
The size didn't seem like too much of a problem, but the fact with that type of enclosure there is only top ventilation. These guys require cross ventilation too.

Honestly, i would avoid another avic and get yourself a terrestrial T instead. Less to worry about and more for forgiving if you're husbandry isn't quite right

siena1

Arachnopeon
Ok so if you could give a type of terrestrial T to get for a beginner what would you recommend?

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Awesome! Thank you!!!
With a T. Albopilosus if you get a juvenile then you don't even have to worry about moist substrate or "humidity" at all, literally dry with a water dish is all you need to do. Although you would definitely need to use a different enclosure as the one you have wouldn't be suitable

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Ok so if you could give a type of terrestrial T to get for a beginner what would you recommend?
I would pick one in the Brachypelma, Tliltocatl, Grammostola, or Aphonopelma genus.

Personally, I think the 2 that check the most boxes for a starter T are T. albopilosus and G. pulchripes. T. vagans is really underrated as a starter T as well. Go with whatever you like the look of the best...you'll be seeing it a lot!

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Ok so a bigger one with more air flow options?
Species that require moist substrate need more air flow than those that can be kept dry. You will need an appropriately sized one for the size of your T, but something like this would be perfectly fine for a T albo, brachypelma or grammostola species.

Excuse the absolute lump of a B Hamorii in pic

Attachments