Pink Toe Vivarium

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Hello all, I recently set up a vivarium habitat for my pink toe, I was just wanting to double check that the environment looks suitable and that my retrofitted lid has enough ventilation holes for the terrarium size IMG-4455.jpg

Attachments

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
The tank itself looks ok, thought I would both add more height to the decor and add more holes on the top. Cross ventilation is important for avics and this doesn’t have much so it’s important for the top to have plenty of holes and for the front ventilation to be entirely unobstructed. Oh and i’d replace those sticks with corkbark, sticks are pretty worthless with T’s they just wanna hide behind something

also ditch the analog temp/humidity gauges, temps are fine at room temperature and do not go chasing high humidity, that’s a great way to kill an avic. A full water dish is plenty.

finally the spider itself is not yet big enough for this enclosure, especially with all the dense decor feeders will get lost in there and you may have difficulty locating the spider. Move it into a smaller enclosure for now and then you can put it back in later (though idk if anyone has any critiques that i missed)

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Noted! I'll track down some cork (there's already some on the floor but I was thinking I should probably get some more thats a tad larger), as for terrarium size I'll try and track down something smaller! Are there any other drawbacks to an overlarge habitat asside from lost prey? The analogue gauge was more there to check in terms of temperature (it's rather chilly here and I just wanted to be sure). Thanks for the tips on the ventilation as well, I was definitely worried there weren't enough holes so I'll defiantly get that fixed! How many more should I add?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see very little arboreal hang out from top to bottom. Also, while not wrong, your T is going to have a hard time finding food in such a large setup IME unless you provide a lot of food per meal (more than it would eat in time). You'll have to pick out the dead feaders or they attract flies etc. Your T would be better off in a smaller setup. Your T could die in this setup unless you micromanage it- which is a waste of time if it was me. Good luck your T will need it.

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
What size of habitat would you recommend for my T? I can definitely track down something more in the 10-20 gallon aria with less decore

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
I've built a new terrarium, the dimensions are 9X9X18, it has more ventilation and I'll be adhering some cork bark to the walls to provide arial hides and will be including some branches inside for webs. Once the glue is done curing I'll post some pictures! Thank all of you for helping a rather hopeless new T keeper along!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've built a new terrarium, the dimensions are 9X9X18, it has more ventilation and I'll be adhering some cork bark to the walls to provide arial hides and will be including some branches inside for webs. Once the glue is done curing I'll post some pictures! Thank all of you for helping a rather hopeless new T keeper along!!
I wouldn't write hopeless! We are all learners here.

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
What diameter bit should I use? I'd originally gone with 1/8 of an inch?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
you can use 1/8th but then you need more. I do 3/16ths on mine. Just a lid, not a whole enclosure SafeTlid.jpg

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I've been looking for some straightforward advice on this for days!! I tried googling stuff like "formula for number of airholes needed for tarantula aquarium per gallon" and had no luck. I'll do this tonight and largen mine and probably double them up

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I cut mine via CNC so it isn't as much of a hassle. I probably have more than needed.

Diogenes

Arachnopeon
Oi ghat! That sounds so nice! I have to do all mine by hand which is a bit of a pain...

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
which is why I sent you the warning. People see how many and how even the distribution is and.....
and I'm like "No, no, I just have none machines do the work for me" and it takes minutes

View attachment T Holes.mp4