Pink Toe Tarantula not moving?

RedPanda

Arachnopeon
I just bought a pink toe tarantula and she's just staying on the ground. I know that this species likes heights so she does have some height in the cage but she's on the ground hiding behind a coconut. I have driftwood that goes from the top to the bottom. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this normal?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Are the legs curled underneath the body? Or is it covering its eyes trying to hide. How big is your T? What kind of substrate? Do you have proper ventalation? Is there water available? It could be in pre molt. They tend to be lethargic before a molt. Maybe a picture would help us help you. BTW welcome to the boards! :)

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just bought a pink toe tarantula and she's just staying on the ground. I know that this species likes heights so she does have some height in the cage but she's on the ground hiding behind a coconut. I have driftwood that goes from the top to the bottom. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this normal?
Most likely it was ripped from it's native habitat (read: Wild Caught or WC) and shoved into a box or deli and shipped to a vendor where the pet store/chain most like bought it. Add the fact that now with your purchase it's been relocated again in your home so it's probably just a bit confused.

Most T's when first housed by hobbyists tend to sit around for days up to weeks before they begin to explore and map out their new home territory.

Your tarantula is probably fine and may stay huddled/scrunched up for some time before it does this and the best thing is a quiet, warm and darker location for it to acclimate to the new enclosure and it's surroundings. Unless it displays other various poses such as curling it's legs (most if not all of them) underneath it, called a "death curl" then your new pet is fine.

Don't disturb it and don't feed it for a week or so and let it acclimate and it'll do just fine :)

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards, RedPanda.

Is this your first tarantula? These are very beautiful spiders, but require a bit more care with their habitat than other Ts.

How big is your T, and where did you get him/her? How long have you had it? They usually need time to adjust when being moved into a new place.

Please tell us more about your tarantula, including the type of home you have it living in. Pictures would help!

'Pink toe' is a common name, the scientific name is 'Avicularia avicularia', use that when searching for information on these. :D