Pink Toe Tarantula Housing

avjari

Arachnopeon
Hello, I just recently got my first tarantula, and I just wanted to know if it's big enough to re-house. She's about 2.5" and the new enclosure is 8x6x14. She's kind of small, and the shop workers said she'd be fine in the cage she came in. Should I just wait until she moults?

Attachments

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Hello, I just recently got my first tarantula, and I just wanted to know if it's big enough to re-house. She's about 2.5" and the new enclosure is 8x6x14. She's kind of small, and the shop workers said she'd be fine in the cage she came in. Should I just wait until she moults?
that enclosure should do just fine
she seems like she has enough space to walk around if she wants to and it also seems great for a young arboreal!
I personally like to go for smaller sized enclosures bc ts enjoy feeling closed on space
enough for them to walk around and do as they please but not too big so they feel overwhelmed and the one she came in seems perfect for those aspects🙂

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
May I ask where you bought the enclosure? We just got a "surprise" A. Avic added to the family and I had to modify a display case into a t enclosure for her, because no where that I knew of locally had what I was looking for.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Even though she is a bit on the smaller side, she should do fine in the larger enclosure. Arboreal species in general do much better in larger enclosures than terrestrials do. Just ensure that she has a flat piece of cork bark and plenty of fake plants around the top of the enclosure, because Avicularia web and live at the top of their enclosures.
Also, include a water dish both on the ground and one elevated at the top of the enclosure. I use deli cups and put one inside another so that I can still replace the inside one, while keeping the outside one, which is attached, intact.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Also, include a water dish both on the ground and one elevated at the top of the enclosure. I use deli cups and put one inside another so that I can still replace the inside one, while keeping the outside one, which is attached, intact.
That's a really cool idea, I'm gonna implement this in my own.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. Same scenario, same questions, same T... Only difference is I had to go the homemade route on enclosures lol.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That's a really cool idea, I'm gonna implement this in my own.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. Same scenario, same questions, same T... Only difference is I had to go the homemade route on enclosures lol.
I do that in all my enclosures - cup inside cup so I can just pull the inside one out and leave the other in place so the substrate doesn't cave in.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It may work with more venting

But you’ll need to make sure it eats- at that size box crix will easily hide, your T may not find food that well.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
But you’ll need to make sure it eats- at that size box crix will easily hide, your T may not find food that well.
In this scenario would it be good to just dangle the cricket in front of them as to not lose track of where it goes?

avjari

Arachnopeon
Hello, I've posted before, asking if this 8x6x14 enclosure would be fine for my 3" pink toe T, and I've decided to fill it.

Did I go overboard with the decorating? 😅
Also, I've drilled some more holes! I'll glue the water bowl from my first enclosure near the top if this new one is good to go

Attachments

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
You get a 12 out of 10 for aesthetics, I will be referencing these pics for future inspiration. Well done.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Looks great, I would minimize the decor on one of the sides. Leave the spider a second 'outside' to climb upon. Because it appears you have a hollow log, with all the outer decor it may spend more of its time inside