Pink Toe Tarantula Help!

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
I have a 3 year old Pink Toe. I’m not sure the sex but I believe it’s a MM. He hasn’t been acting “normal” lately. He’s not been eating but drinking a lot. Sometimes he sits in his water bowl for hours. He stays low to the Cage or ground mostly. His front 4 legs have began to bald but not his booty. He has been pooing all over the glass. I’ll clean it and then it’s all over again with in a week and he hasn’t webbed at all in months. His looks sickly to me. I don’t know if I’m over reacting or what’s going on with him. I just need some advice please.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
How long ago did it molt last? How long have you had it (all 3 yrs?) How are you keeping it specifically relating to husbandry?

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
It does look like a mature male to me. Can you please take a picture of the pedipalps? We can then confirm if it is a MM based on whether it has emboli or not.

The hide you are currently using isn't ideal imo, which is why they are probably hanging out lower to the ground. Use something with more height, cork bark preferably.

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
How long ago did it molt last? How long have you had it (all 3 yrs?) How are you keeping it specifically relating to husbandry?
He hasn’t molted in about 8 months. I have had him since he was a sling. All 3 years

It does look like a mature male to me. Can you please take a picture of the pedipalps? We can then confirm if it is a MM based on whether it has emboli or not.

The hide you are currently using isn't ideal imo, which is why they are probably hanging out lower to the ground. Use something with more height, cork bark preferably.
I can take a picture in the morning and I know its and old hide I had for a different Tarantula years ago I just haven’t gotten any new stuff. I have it on it’s side tilted against the glass and I have vines that run from the top of the enclosure to around the hide.

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
He hasn’t molted in about 8 months. I have had him since he was a sling. All 3 years
Also I’m not sure 100% what husbandry is but I use coconut fiber substrate and I usually feed him crickets because he won’t take prey from tweezers anymore so I can’t feed him worms or roaches because they dig in the dirt and get lost.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Also I’m not sure 100% what husbandry is but I use coconut fiber substrate and I usually feed him crickets because he won’t take prey from tweezers anymore so I can’t feed him worms or roaches because they dig in the dirt and get lost.
Do you spray him, how moist is the substrate, what’s the ventilation like etc. Has any fly killer or potentially harmful chemicals been used within the room?

Without these details it’s difficult to tell.

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
Do you spray him, how moist is the substrate, what’s the ventilation like etc. Has any fly killer or potentially harmful chemicals been used within the room?

Without these details it’s difficult to tell.
I used to most his cage but he HATES it so I stopped doing that about a week ago. The substrate is pretty dry at the bottom. The top of the enclosure is just wire mesh. I did bring a stray kitten home and she had fleas badly so we used that carpet stuff but his enclosure is about 4ft off the ground. Do you think when I vacuumed the flea powder it could have harmed him?

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
I used to most his cage but he HATES it so I stopped doing that about a week ago. The substrate is pretty dry at the bottom. The top of the enclosure is just wire mesh. I did bring a stray kitten home and she had fleas badly so we used that carpet stuff but his enclosure is about 4ft off the ground. Do you think when I vacuumed the flea powder it could have harmed him?
I don’t think it was the flea powder because we did that just last Saturday and he’s been acting funny for awhile

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Could be the spraying that has that impact, Avics despise humidity and need to be kept bone dry with a water dish. As stated the hide isn’t particularly appropriate and may be stressing her/him out.

Wire mesh is also inappropriate, the T could’ve got one of its tarsi stuck in there whilst climbing and fell. It’s unlikely but still rather possible. Can you see any hints of abdominal trauma?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I used to most his cage but he HATES it so I stopped doing that about a week ago.
Well this could be an issue, you had been spraying it for sounds like a long time until about a week ago. They should never be misted. Dry substrate, water, dish and no misting, and great ventilation is how the husbandry is for Avicularia's

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
Could be the spraying that has that impact, Avics despise humidity and need to be kept bone dry with a water dish. As stated the hide isn’t particularly appropriate and may be stressing her/him out.

Wire mesh is also inappropriate, the T could’ve got one of its tarsi stuck in there whilst climbing and fell. It’s unlikely but still rather possible. Can you see any hints of abdominal trauma?
I think it may be the humidity. I hadn’t been spraying him for a long time. Once or twice a week for a month. The only thing on him that’s sickly looking are is legs

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon

I can take a picture in the morning and I know its and old hide I had for a different Tarantula years ago I just haven’t gotten any new stuff. I have it on it’s side tilted against the glass and I have vines that run from the top of the enclosure to around the hide. I’ll add some more pictures.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Based off your pictures it’s a mature male, so you say it’s been 8montha since it molted being the ultimate molt, MM’s tend to only live around 1-2years post ultimate molt depending on temperature and feeding schedules. So he could be nearing his time anyway.

But from now on stop misting and if you get another avicularia/caribena/Ybyrapora do not mist, like ever.... Misting leading to stuffy enclosures is tarantula killers for these genera.

Jenbond95

Arachnopeon
Based off your pictures it’s a mature male, so you say it’s been 8montha since it molted being the ultimate molt, MM’s tend to only live around 1-2years post ultimate molt depending on temperature and feeding schedules. So he could be nearing his time anyway.

But from now on stop misting and if you get another avicularia/caribena/Ybyrapora do not mist, like ever.... Misting leading to stuffy enclosures is tarantula killers for these genera.
Thank you! I was afraid he was getting old. I knew males lived shorter lives I was hoping I had a female 😖😖

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you! I was afraid he was getting old. I knew males lived shorter lives I was hoping I had a female 😖😖
You are welcome!! And yeah they don’t live as long :/. Guess you’ll just have to get another :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your feeding techniques are not the best.

you have a MM now that I see the second set of pics