Pink toe tarantula care

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I received a pink toe tarantula (not sure which variety) last night from a friend who could no longer care for her. I am considering rehousing her because she seems like she needs more substrate and her cage is very dirty. She is in a critter keeper with less than an inch of sub on the bottom and a tp roll that she has her burrow in. She also has some fake plants and such. I have a (I think 15gal) aquarium that is much taller than what she is in if that would be suitable. If not I also saw someone use a critter keeper on its side so it's taller (this species is aboreal correct?). I have some old cage furniture that has a hole through the center (I'll post a picture) that I'm considering using, if it's an okay idea. Also she's been feeding once a month, should she be eating more than that?

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I received a pink toe tarantula (not sure which variety) last night from a friend who could no longer care for her. I am considering rehousing her because she seems like she needs more substrate and her cage is very dirty. She is in a critter keeper with less than an inch of sub on the bottom and a tp roll that she has her burrow in. She also has some fake plants and such. I have a (I think 15gal) aquarium that is much taller than what she is in if that would be suitable. If not I also saw someone use a critter keeper on its side so it's taller (this species is aboreal correct?). I have some old cage furniture that has a hole through the center (I'll post a picture) that I'm considering using, if it's an okay idea. Also she's been feeding once a month, should she be eating more than that?
I own and raise a lot of different Avic species and localities.

Nice to see someone taking an interest in learning about their new pet.

That container's inside is a garbage dump, and the owner neglected this T. It's disgusting to be honest. "no longer care", hah, I'd say "never cared". If that's caring, that T needs less of it! On w/the help!

Here's some info I wrote on Avic care, you MUST read it as you seem to know very little Pink Toes. It will be helpful http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

DO NOT read about Avics from caresheets, they are fully of inaccurate info will cause your Pink Toe to die.

After you read my post in the link, then ask more questions here.

Questions:

1. What's its diagonal leg span?

It doesn't need more sub. They are an arboreal species, NOT a terrestrial.

A KK on its side is OK, it MUST have water at all times, fresh water. Avics die in moist/stuffy containers.

Feeding once a month is ridiculously too little. Feed as often as it will eat.

That cage furniture is not the best, most use cork bark along w/plastic plants that are off the ground.

You want a container that is taller than it is wide. 15 gallon is too large generally speaking.

I STRONGLY suggest you read a lot on Avics.

Last edited:

Beastie

Arachnoknight

That container's inside is a garbage dump, and the owner neglected this T. It's disgusting to be honest. "no longer care", hah, I'd say "never cared". If that's caring, that T needs less of it! On w/the help!

Here's some info I wrote on Avic care, you MUST read it as you seem to know very little about Pink Toes. It will be helpful http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

Questions:

1. What's it diagonal leg span?

A KK on its side is OK, it MUST have water at all times, fresh water. Avics die in moist/stuffy containers.

That cage furniture is not the best, most use cork bark.

You want a container that is taller than it is wide. 15 gallon is too large generally speaking.

I was being gentle as the previous owner is a friend but yes I agree the husbandry is rather poor :(. That's why I'm here to make things better for her, hopefully! This KK is such I mess I would rather use the terrarium I posted if it seems suitable (it's 11"high, I could block off half if need be) or I could wait and get a large food container type thing (as suggested in another thread).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was being gentle as the previous owner is a friend but yes I agree the husbandry is rather poor :(. That's why I'm here to make things better for her, hopefully! This KK is such I mess I would rather use the terrarium I posted if it seems suitable (it's 11"high, I could block off half if need be) or I could wait and get a large food container type thing (as suggested in another thread).
Yes, well if my friend was a murderer, he'd still be a murderer, facts are facts hahahah

Good you came here! So many don't. You didn't answer my prev question, what size is the Ts diagonal leg span? If you don't know the exact measurement approximate, with something we all know, like Silver dollar, coffee cup bottom etc.

This is important info.

Beastie

Arachnoknight

Nice to see someone taking an interest in learning about their new pet.

Here's some info I wrote on Avic care, you MUST read it as you seem to know very little Pink Toes. It will be helpful http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

DO NOT read about Avics from caresheets, they are fully of inaccurate info will cause your Pink Toe to die.

After you read my post in the link, then ask more questions here.

Questions:

1. What's its diagonal leg span?

That cage furniture is not the best, most use cork bark along w/plastic plants that are off the ground.

Sorry I didn't answer your question I wanted to read your link first. I am not positive on her legspan because she has only poked her feet out of the burrow. I do know she was purchased as an adult and the former owner has had her for a while.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry I didn't answer your question I wanted to read your link first. I am not positive on her legspan because she has only poked her feet out of the burrow. I do know she was purchased as an adult and the former owner has had her for a while.
Thanks that's helpful. They aren't the largest genus generally speaking, range in size from 3-7" DLS depending upon the species. If it's an A. avicularia, keeping it in that tank would OK if it had some cross ventilation, and no screen top, would need an acrylic top will drilled holes- you'd have to drill holes in the sides (can't tell if that's glass or plastic) You would be better off putting it in a Sterilite container. But if you want to have clear sides, like glass. Your only solutions are in fact fish tanks, and acrylic containers like these http://jamiestarantulas.com/enclosures/

W/fish tanks (cheapest), you can mount them on end, so they are tall, and you'd have to make (not hard) a front lid w/a substrate dam.

W/the typical acrylic T containers on the market, MOST have screen vents like Jamies. Not a wise idea as Ts will chew threw the screen and escape, you'd want the sides to have drilled holes instead for ventilation.

Alternatively, you could use an arboreal ExoTerra IF you provide an acrylic top w/drilled holes, no screen top. Ts, even Avics, will get their tarsal claws stuck in screen. They either falls, lose a leg, suffer from exhaustion etc etc.

There's enough ventilation in an ExoTerra to raise an Avic in. Ventilation comes in lower front below the doors and from the top, identical to European glass cubes that those breeders over there use.

Also, check out the Avicularia forum here and you will see some examples of Avic containers http://arachnoboards.com/threads/genus-avicularia.20103/

Also, some examples here http://arachnoboards.com/forums/vivariums-and-terrariums.81/

These people have more pictures than I do of Avic containers, I don't take many pics, they may post.

@louise f
@Austin S.
@CEC
@cold blood

Last edited:

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Thanks that's helpful. They aren't the largest genus generally speaking, range in size from 3-7" DLS depending upon the species. If it's an A. avicularia, keeping it in that tank would OK if it had some cross ventilation, and no screen top, would need an acrylic top will drilled holes- you'd have to drill holes in the sides (can't tell if that's glass or plastic) You would be better off putting it in a Sterilite container. But if you want to have clear sides, like glass. Your only solutions are in fact fish tanks, and acrylic containers like these http://jamiestarantulas.com/enclosures/

W/fish tanks (cheapest), you can mount them on end, so they are tall, and you'd have to make (not hard) a front lid w/a substrate dam.

W/the typical acrylic T containers on the market, MOST have screen vents like Jamies. Not a wise idea as Ts will chew threw the screen and escape, you'd want the sides to have drilled holes instead for ventilation.

Alternatively, you could use an arboreal ExoTerra IF you provide an acrylic top w/drilled holes, no screen top. Ts, even Avics, will get their tarsal claws stuck in screen. They either falls, lose a leg, suffer from exhaustion etc etc.

There's enough ventilation in an ExoTerra to raise an Avic in. Ventilation comes in lower front below the doors and from the top, identical to European glass cubes that those breeders over there use.

Also, check out the Avicularia forum here and you will see some examples of Avic containers http://arachnoboards.com/threads/genus-avicularia.20103/

Also, some examples here http://arachnoboards.com/forums/vivariums-and-terrariums.81/

These people have more pictures than I do of Avic containers, I don't take many pics, they may post.

@louise f
@Austin S.
@CEC
@cold blood
I'm trying to find the least expensive option as we have a pretty tight budget at the moment. I will look through those threads for suggestions. I don't want to move her until I have her set up right but I definitely want to do it sooner than later with her current conditions. Should I put the tp roll burrow in whatever new cage I set up?

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm trying to find the least expensive option as we have a pretty tight budget at the moment. I will look through those threads for suggestions. I don't want to move her until I have her set up right but I definitely want to do it sooner than later with her current conditions. Should I put the tp roll burrow in whatever new cage I set up?
I would not put that TP in there, that's terrible. I'd provide her a cork bark tube. OR cork bark flats leaning up against the container walls. I WOULD clean that tanks out she came in. That container might be growing the cure for cancer in there, it's disgusting.

The cheapest route if you purchased a new container is generally Sterilite.

If you have absolutely no money, than you need to provide that T with cover so it feels secure and in that context I would use the cage furniture you posted earlier.

Another thing, a lot of T poop in a container, even a KK I would think, can attract mites and it smells, making the air stagnant. Stagnant air will kill an Avic easily, usually over time w/out the owner noticing. One day it's "fine", the next day it's dead, no exaggeration there.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Okay I think the plan is going to have to be to move her after next payday so I can get her set up good. In the meantime I know that her set up now absolutely needs to be cleaned, what is going to be the best approach for that?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If I were on a budget and needed a quick temp Avic enclosure I'd go to walmart.
Get:
a clear gallon jug (2-3 dollar cheap tea jug)
a bag of plastic plants from the fish section (stiff ones are better) Or a cheap vine style plant from a hobby store.
cheapest bag of plan old dirt from gardening (no fertilizers)
Gatorade bottle cap for water dish.

Poke some holes 3/4 of the way up all the way around the jug.
put 2-3 inches of dirt in the bottom of the jug.
place the plants in the dirt on one side making it as thick and crowded as you can with all the plants. It would be better to have corkbark for the base wall to support the T but that costs a lot at pet stores.
if you got the vine cut to size and attach it to the side of the jug (so it hangs down) with hot glue or poke some holes and use bread ties to hold it in place.
place the cap on the other side on the ground.
take photos and show to get feedback on how it looks.

When you have a good setup add the tarantula.

You can use clorox water to clean the old enclosure just make sure it is dried and has no fumes left in it before putting it anywhere near the T.
You can use a catch cup to remove the T for the cleaning.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
If I were on a budget and needed a quick temp Avic enclosure I'd go to walmart.
Get:
a clear gallon jug (2-3 dollar cheap tea jug)
a bag of plastic plants from the fish section (stiff ones are better) Or a cheap vine style plant from a hobby store.
cheapest bag of plan old dirt from gardening (no fertilizers)
Gatorade bottle cap for water dish.

Poke some holes 3/4 of the way up all the way around the jug.
put 2-3 inches of dirt in the bottom of the jug.
place the plants in the dirt on one side making it as thick and crowded as you can with all the plants. It would be better to have corkbark for the base wall to support the T but that costs a lot at pet stores.
if you got the vine cut to size and attach it to the side of the jug (so it hangs down) with hot glue or poke some holes and use bread ties to hold it in place.
place the cap on the other side on the ground.
take photos and show to get feedback on how it looks.

When you have a good setup add the tarantula.

You can use clorox water to clean the old enclosure just make sure it is dried and has no fumes left in it before putting it anywhere near the T.
You can use a catch cup to remove the T for the cleaning.
You're talking plastic right? Would something like a snack jar of similar size work? Would I be better off getting something like that or just using the KK on its side?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're talking plastic right? Would something like a snack jar of similar size work? Would I be better off getting something like that or just using the KK on its side?
Not glass, you need ventilation on the side. You could clean out that KK, wash it out good, and put it on end to save money as a temporary home.

Would still need cage furniture like Trenor and I discussed.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yes, they sale a plastic gallon jug for a few bucks. No glass.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Would something like this work? Or do I need to go bigger still? And yes I know cage furniture is a must.
Those will work, that would give a good amount of working room too, an important factor in keeping your T in the container and not out of it should it feel threatened.

Last edited: