Pink Toe skinny and not eating..

Chaos4eva

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone from Miami FL

I just got into the hobby very recently. I got this Pikk Toe T and she looks super skinny. She reacts to food very fast then she drops it follows it around but doesn't eat it. I wonder if she's just old. Attached is a pic.
Thanks for the guidance!
PS I realized she was missing a leg when I did the transfer after I got her.. oops

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hello everyone from Miami FL
I just got into the hobby very recently. I got this Pikk Toe T and she looks super skinny. She reacts to food very fast then she drops it follows it around but doesn't eat it. I wonder if she's just old. Attached is a pic.
Thanks for the guidance!
PS I realized she was missing a leg when I did the transfer after I got her.. oops
Your Avicularia is not skinny at all. Arboreal species have a different body shape to terrestrial species and that structure is designed to be slimmer overall. Your Avicularia should never look as chubby as your Brachypelma or Grammostola.
Your Avicularia is likely not hungry at that size either, or might be approaching a moult, and that is why they kill the prey without actually eating it. Just keep the water dish full and limit the amount of time that you offer food to once every couple of weeks at that size.
No problem about the leg, it should regenerate with the next moult.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
That's not skinny for an Avic. My girl's abdomen is currently a little less plump than yours, even. It's probably nearing premolt; mine didn't eat for a month and a half during premolt. Side note: is your enclosure quite damp?

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
It shouldn't be damp at all. Just a cap of water for a water dish at all times. Avics need to be kept in dry enclosures.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Judging from the drab color of your T, I'd agree it's probably due for a molt. A good idea to keep water available.

I just keep a full water bowl in my pink toe enclosure at all times and overflow it a little once a week, letting the substrate dry out in between. I also mist the wall every few weeks, too, since she likes to drink from the wall.

I'm not avic expert, but this care has been keeping my avics in good shape. I'm sure others will have good info for you, too.