pink toe puzzler

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HI All!

im new to the forum and to tarantulas as well, so i hope you guys can help me get to know all about my new hairy friends. :)

i have a avic avic (pink toe) spiderling about 1.5 cm, and im a little worried about his/her feeding, he seems to spend all his time on the roof of the tank while the pin head crickets party hard on the ground....is there a trick to feeding arboreal spiders or will he/she just come down to feed when hungry?

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/images/smilies/033102stupid_1_prv.gif
:?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
It will go for the pinhead when it's hungry. The more hungry it is the closer it will position itself to the ground (or in the open).

Some general advice regarding keeping arboreals: Give the T lots and lots and lots of ventilation!

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, when I got my first T it was an A. Avic as well, slightly larger than your's though. Indeed it will come closer to the ground, it more than likely know's where the food is if the food is already in there. Some people advise against this but my Avic is a bit different, I feed her personally lol. I open the door and she comes out onto a peice of cork bark outside her web and chills out till a cricket is dropped infront of her. EVERY time this happens ^^. I know she's looking for food cuz I've put food in there before and she's never gone after it if it wasn't on the log..no it's not pre-molt. She's just lazy.;)

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hehe...wish mine would do that! would be great to have a dinner time routine.
My ling hasn't started webbing yet althought i have only had he/she for five days...does it take them a while or is it just coz he/she is a small ling?

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also 'hand feed' my Amazonica. I take the small cric in the tweezers & out it on the top opening of the webbing & he/she comes running out & snatches it away. I'm really attached to this lil baby. It is about the same size as yours.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also 'hand feed' my Amazonica. I take the small cric in the tweezers & out it on the top opening of the webbing & he/she comes running out & snatches it away. I'm really attached to this lil baby. It is about the same size as yours.
I wanna see a pic of this little one:)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hehe...wish mine would do that! would be great to have a dinner time routine.
My ling hasn't started webbing yet althought i have only had he/she for five days...does it take them a while or is it just coz he/she is a small ling?
Have you put in something for the sling to climb on and web?? Like maybe a cork bark or something. I did not found anything when I first got my baby, so I got a thin piece of like a wooden pole or something. Around 0.5mm in diameter & broke it into 3 pieces and placed them upright. My sling has webbed up between all 3. It took him/her about 3 days tops I think.

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have you put in something for the sling to climb on and web?? Like maybe a cork bark or something. I did not found anything when I first got my baby, so I got a thin piece of like a wooden pole or something. Around 0.5mm in diameter & broke it into 3 pieces and placed them upright. My sling has webbed up between all 3. It took him/her about 3 days tops I think.
i have yes i have placed bamboo sticks around the tank but would you recommend putting them close together for a more solid structure?

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have placed mine like that(in the pic) so the T could web between. On the pic you can't see it as it had not webbed yet, but now the whole section from the top of the sticks to below the pic has webbing.

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
awww! my little guy is a bit bigger that yours ....i see what you mean about the sticks ....i'll have to do some interior decorating ,changing room style !
thank you for your help :)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I would riddle the lid with holes if I were you and also make more holes in the sides to get some "airflow". In a container that size and with so small holes I guess it won't be much, but it can only be better from where you are now.

Tim St.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is what i keep my Avic. in, i found the Insect Cage* at DOLLARAMA for 1$ Each, the plants too, The whole set up cost me less then 15$, i hot glued Screens over the holes so i wont have any escapes, i did this after i got fed up with the vials- ruining there webs and freaking them out every time i wanted to feed them or spray em, they seem very happy and dont have a hard time at all finding there prey.

Close up

the shelf, the whole set up was less then 15$
From left to right: A.versi, A.avic, A.versi, P. ornata, A.versi, A.versi

Last edited:

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would riddle the lid with holes if I were you and also make more holes in the sides to get some "airflow". In a container that size and with so small holes I guess it won't be much, but it can only be better from where you are now.
I thought of putting in more holes on the side, but did not want to overdo it. I have got alot of holes in the lid. Lil guys has been in there about 2 weeks. Haven't noticed any probs yet.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
HI All!

im new to the forum and to tarantulas as well, so i hope you guys can help me get to know all about my new hairy friends. :)

i have a avic avic (pink toe) spiderling about 1.5 cm, and im a little worried about his/her feeding, he seems to spend all his time on the roof of the tank while the pin head crickets party hard on the ground....is there a trick to feeding arboreal spiders or will he/she just come down to feed when hungry?
Welcome to the boards, and welcome to the hobby.

When you say "pinheads" do you mean the crickets the size of a pin head or just really small babies? I personally have never had luck feeding pinheads. IME the Ts consume what I think may be a little too large for them. Also, be sure you are not putting more than one in at a time. T's get stressed when too much prey is available.
I also like to tweezer feed because then I know if its gonna be eaten right away.