pink toe is this normal?

bemo

Arachnopeon
i had my pink tow for a few weeks now (about 3) she (unknown gender think she is to young to tell) has eaten alot of crickets and a super worm so i was assuming she is comfortable, i was on some forums and reading up about how Ts act when they are stressed. one of them being that they do there "hide pose".. sapphire always sits like that 90% of the time and i dont know if its normal for pink toes so sit like this all the time or she is stressed out. normal humidity is 50 to 55% 70 to 75F, sometimes i mist.. from most of the pics ive seen this is normal and she does not keep the legs tight up unless i am in there (cleaning poop or giving fresh water and i nudge her) ill show pics of her and her aquarium. the light has 20% window tint so it isnt so bright ]. the last pic she is really crunched up.. this happens less but she seems to do it for no reason some of the times, more so when i nudge her when cleaning poop off the walls or giving water..

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Looks like a bugarium....these arent good for housing avicularia as they only offer top ventilation, which does noting for the critical air movement that the genus needs. Add moisture ad that's where the problems begin....the process is consistent, eating slows, stops and then the t ends up on the ground, then it dies.

For future reference, humidity doesnt matter, its air movement or airflow that is critical. And temps can be as low as mid 60s at night and up in the 90s for periods....neither needs any real monitoring.

Also the set up isnt quite right. use a larger wide piece of wood, one that extends to the top or near the top of the enclosure. Then surround the wood with the plant...the plant should be in contact with the wood...they work best together.

Here is an example of an avic set up in a sterilite tub for reference....housing applies to any Avic enclosure.

bemo

Arachnopeon
Looks like a bugarium....these arent good for housing avicularia as they only offer top ventilation, which does noting for the critical air movement that the genus needs. Add moisture ad that's where the problems begin....the process is consistent, eating slows, stops and then the t ends up on the ground, then it dies.

For future reference, humidity doesnt matter, its air movement or airflow that is critical. And temps can be as low as mid 60s at night and up in the 90s for periods....neither needs any real monitoring.

Also the set up isnt quite right. use a larger wide piece of wood, one that extends to the top or near the top of the enclosure. Then surround the wood with the plant...the plant should be in contact with the wood...they work best together.

Here is an example of an avic set up in a sterilite tub for reference....housing applies to any Avic enclosure.
its the zoo med "creature" aquarium https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-creatures-habitat-kit thats the kit that he or she is in i am looking into other ones that open from the front and vents in the front. alot of forums have mixed messages about the side venting it being ok to be top vent and other say hell no. but i am looking for one.

cold blood

Staff member
its the zoo med "creature" aquarium https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-creatures-habitat-kit thats the kit that he or she is in i am looking into other ones that open from the front and vents in the front. alot of forums have mixed messages about the side venting it being ok to be top vent and other say hell no. but i am looking for one.
Yes, its the same as a bugarium.

The exo terras get a bad rap for some reason, but the truth is that the ventilation below the doors on them is perfect for promoting airflow as it allows air to be drawn in at the bottom as it leaves the top. Europeans have been using a simpler version of this type enclosure for decades.

bemo

Arachnopeon
Yes, its the same as a bugarium.

The exo terras get a bad rap for some reason, but the truth is that the ventilation below the doors on them is perfect for promoting airflow as it allows air to be drawn in at the bottom as it leaves the top. Europeans have been using a simpler version of this type enclosure for decades.
i just got the exo mini, wont that be way to big for sapphire? i got a big cork log and other stuff im going to set it up now. ill show pics when its done, worried it may be to big

hope this is not to big? i am not done with plants yet so dont worry about

Attachments

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron

bemo

Arachnopeon
Cross ventilation and top is critical for avics. Top ventilation only is OK for dry species
well i got the exo terra mini witch is really big IMO

assuming she wont die in a bigger aquarium than she should be in.. also just founf out she is pre molt

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can barely follow your reply due to lack of punctuation. It’s a GIANT sentence.

Hell no to what- top ventilation is bad? Where did you read that completely STUPID idea????!!!!!

Due to lack of punctuation no way to easily tell what you wrote, no time to sort through it.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
assuming she wont die in a bigger aquarium than she should be in.. also just founf out she is pre molt
How did you find out she's in premolt?

Yeah i agree that enclosure is far far too big. You'll have a very hard time feeding unless you drop the prey items directly onto her. Also be sure do fix that screen mesh.

quirinus

Arachnoknight
your new exo terra is acceptable.
it is big compared to the spider, yes, but for avics it can't be too tall.
you might have issues feeding it until it made itself a home, because it might not find the food. feed prekill and wait if it gets eaten over night. if not, remove the prey and try again.
maybe place 2 items in there, or three, to increase odds.
once it made a web-home, you can place prekilled prey at the entrance.

don't forget to add a lot of fake leaves at the top... you should prepare the full terrarium before putting the T in there....

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Avics are generally better at taking falls than say a terrestrial T, but that's still quite a fall for such a little T from the top

bemo

Arachnopeon
How did you find out she's in premolt?

Yeah i agree that enclosure is far far too big. You'll have a very hard time feeding unless you drop the prey items directly onto her. Also be sure do fix that screen mesh.
well she hasnt eaten in a while when the cricket was right there in between her legs a few days ago and a bald spot on her abdomen.