pink toe in pre-molt?

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Ok i just recently got my first pink toe...not very big yet still about 2-2 1/2 inches at most. He/she ate about five times in two weeks but has refused food for the past four days and seems unable to climb the glass like before. Could pre-molt cause the T to not be able to climb very well?

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Unable as in he/she is waggling his/her legs and trying to climb but can't? Or as in he/she is just sitting lower in the cage and not climbing very high?

Sounds like premolt to me though

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Climbing around on other things just fine, but when it tries to climb the side of the critter keeper it slides back down. Last week i would find him/her on the top or sides but now he/she is sort of staying on a fake plant closer to the ground.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Climbing around on other things just fine, but when it tries to climb the side of the critter keeper it slides back down. Last week i would find him/her on the top or sides but now he/she is sort of staying on a fake plant closer to the ground.
Slides? That sounds odd if it's what I'm visualizing. Need Pics of the T and home.

A good shot showing the abdomen relative to the body is what I need, a dorsal shot.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My avics climb just fine while in pre molt.. Not saying it's not the issue but I don't think it is.. Pics are important as others above have stated..

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
I have an A. purpurea that had some minor issues with sticking to walls. It could, but not as easily as before. It would choose to hang out in the foliage. As soon as it molted it was good to go.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm concerned more with the set up...A KK isn't the best place for an Avic IMO.

Losing grip is indeed pretty typical late in the pre-molt period.

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
I dont plan keeping him/her in the kk but if it is premolt I dont want to move him/her yet either. He or she is still able to climb, just slides a little. No webbing either, but refusing food and stretching each leg one by one. these are the best pics I have for now. the cords you see in the second image are for a laptop and phone charger.

Attachments

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Yes. Should I take it out? Some peple say to leave it in the dish some people say not to.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yes. Should I take it out? Some peple say to leave it in the dish some people say not to.
Definetely take it out. It serves only as a base for bacteria and fungus. Tarantula can't drown, they float.
Being in premolt doesn't necessarily means you can't rehouse a T. As long as it is not started to actually molt, it does no harm, from what i've seen with mine. Sometimes it is even better to rehouse them right before a molt, they'll set up shop quicker.

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
Ok...thank you very much. ill take it out right away. does it sound like premolt to you guys?

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Avics can be strange from time to time. Cross ventilation is a big thing for Avic species. It could be the conditions of that what have made it unhappy. A cage thats too stuffy can kill and Avic quick, however a cage with too much ventilation can leave its environment to be lacking. At that size it should be in its tube webs, happy as can be. I'd assume you have enough anchors for it to web up higher? The only other concern I would have is the colored leaves and poss the moss. They look like they could contain dye in them which can lead to a dead T. Idk if I would say its premolt, its hard to tell when this genus is ready to molt, but I would start with fixing the ventilation (if needed) and try removing any dyed decor that can contaminate its environment.

Good luck to you :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would rehouse it I think. Avics are the only species I have experience with that actually NEED to live up high in their enclosure. You could use the KK, but make it stand on one end, and put the bark vertical. Be careful with dyed plants and moss, as previous poster explained. If you see it webbing, but not eating, that could mean it is in premolt, but like others said, it is a bit difficult to be sure of that with this species.
@viper69 has a great thread about Avicularia species husbandry.

hollymdemarco

Arachnopeon
The moss is real moss, dont know if its died ...I buy it from the pet store. the plant is also plastic. It will be two weeks on Thursday since I got the T and still no real webs. just a few strings here and there. ill change a few things, see if it helps. I actually have another set up ready for the T just didn't want to disturb him/her just in case. ill post some pics later of the other enclosure so you guys can give me some pointers. thanks again.

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
I was thinking it had plenty of ventilation or too much. It's a kk, don't use them, so trying to remember.
Op, when did you get it? I know my avics took some time to acclimate to their enclosure, when I first got them. Once they settled, they made some really cool tube webs.