pink toe in pre-molt?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Some Avics take their time settling in. Two weeks is relatively short. That, in combination with wrong set up could be the cause of not eating or webbing, instead of pre-molt.

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
Keep us posted. In my experience, my avics around that size would refuse food and within 11-14 days would molt. Not sure if anyone experiences the same, but I did check my molt records to get an idea.

cold blood

Staff member
I would re-house it immediately. Not only is there nothing vertical to climb on, but the floor is moss, which doesn't look dry. Too much moisture is definitely a bad thing for avics. They end up on the ground in stress curls.

At that size you could even use a 32oz deli cup, or go as large as one of these sterilites.

Whatever you choose, it needs good ventilation, dry substrate (coco fiber, eco earth, jungle mix, peat moss or top soil are all proven options) ad a water dish. A flat piece of wood (or hollow) is key for a stable platform to hunt from and stretch out on, surround that wood with plants, preferably plastic, this will provide both cover as well as anchor points for their webbing. Without proper elevated anchor points, they can be very slow to both web and acclimate....a happy avic will have a web tube retreat, getting them to build one is part of a good set up and priority #1.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Before you put the T into a new home, if you like, put up some shots and we'll give you comments. Post them in this thread.

Too many Avics die because owners don't know what they are doing. They aren't hard to raise, but some subtle differences in care easily take you from thriving to dying.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd give it more plastic plants to the right of that cork tube.

Also, while not impossible, you will be constantly moving the cork tube in some way in order to remove and clean that kidney shaped water dish.

If you go w/some plastic setup as I do at times, drill a hole wherever the dish is going to be, makes it easier to fill w/a blunt tipped syringe, less disturbance for your T.

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado

Also, while not impossible, you will be constantly moving the cork tube in some way in order to remove and clean that kidney shaped water dish.

If you go w/some plastic setup as I do at times, drill a hole wherever the dish is going to be, makes it easier to fill w/a blunt tipped syringe, less disturbance for your T.
This is an excellent idea, I do the same thing! Makes watering a breeze, especially for some of the feistier tarantulas.

Attachments

KingD5150

Arachnopeon
Thought about the watering when housing was set up, did do already. Thanks again guys for all the help she seems very content. Moving legs and shaking them a couple at a time and has started to web. Has been very educational.

cold blood

Staff member
Its not just more plants...it does need a lot more, but those plants need to be elevated, covering the middle to top of that wood. Plants on the ground are useless for the t and simply give feeders placed to hide. Keep the floor as open as possible.

KingD5150

Arachnopeon
Its not just more plants...it does need a lot more, but those plants need to be elevated, covering the middle to top of that wood. Plants on the ground are useless for the t and simply give feeders placed to hide. Keep the floor as open as possible.
Completely understand changing things up to better habitat

cold blood

Staff member
Completely understand changing things up to better habitat
Hey, aside from more elevated plant cover, it looks good.

I'm not a fan of necked down tops, it can make maintenance a pain, and avics like to web the top, and a screw on lid will destroy it every time. Your wood is just off the lip though, so you could be just fine, only time will tell. Nice chunk of wood btw.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
With 4/4 of my avics that I've given a tube if bark to only one decided it would be good enough for a home (a. Diversipes) ::sigh:: it's just like when I used to make beautiful setups for some of my NWs and the next day everything is bulldozed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never said put them on the ground hah. I thought it was implied they should be higher up because the animal is arboreal :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not a fan of necked down tops, it can make maintenance a pain
So true, they are terrible for my style of husbandry, causes too much disruption and Avics will run anywhere, including out the top.