"Pink Toe" for sale at Petco.

LoveSalesman

Arachnopeon
How many think its an acctual pink toe?. Should i purchase it it. I have an 18x18x18 terriaum which i think would house it comforably? I am fairly new only have a Rosie. Are they hard to keep.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
How many think its an acctual pink toe?. Should i purchase it it. I have an 18x18x18 terriaum which i think would house it comforably? I am fairly new only have a Rosie. Are they hard to keep.

Wouldn't have the slightest idea without a visual. Look up photos of Avicularia on the site and compare them to what they have.

Avics needs lots of ventilation, and like all other Ts, dry substrate and plenty of clean water at all times will insure a healthy T.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that would house it pretty well. They are not hard to keep. They like a little more humidity than the rose hair and they will make a web home up off the substrate.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well pink toe isnt a very descriptive common name. BUT , they generally have Avicularia avicularia as pink toes. SOMETIMES they have metallica and something else i forget , maybe versicolors. But, mostly avic avic

mrsd

Arachnopeon
I picked up an A. seemani there. They had it labeled right at the one I went to. It had the orange spinerettes. But the people that work there have no idea how to handle them. I had to get mine out of the cage for them because the guy had no idea how to get it out.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it's really hard to mistake a pinktoe. and yes, most likely it is since they will only sell "docile" species.

julesee

Arachnopeon
they are easy to care for. They are tree tarantulas so height space is more important than floor space. Make sure you have something for it to climb on and then it will build its web around that. Still have a hide though.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if its not actually an A. Avic and its a different Avicularia sp. it might be worth a bit more money thatn i'm guessing its being sold for.

LoveSalesman

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the replies. If i can i will try to get a pic of it incase it is something sweet just mislabeled.

BigBryan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i wouldnt doubt its an avic avic because most of the time i see either g.rosea or a.avic at the petstore...

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's probably a pinktoed; that's what they usually have for aboreal. I just bought mine the other day...a juvenile...only $19.99 plus tax. Good luck! I think you won't be disappointed with this species. It's real easy to care like the other have mentioned. This species feed voraciously, so I think you will enjoy it.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Avicularia avicularia = pink toe tarantula.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Avics needs lots of ventilation, and like all other Ts, dry substrate and plenty of clean water at all times will insure a healthy T.
dry substrate for ALL T's? hmmm ok saves mites and mold i suppose.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
dry substrate for ALL T's? hmmm ok saves mites and mold i suppose.
The only Ts that get moist substrate in my house are moisture dependant species such as T. blondi, etc. And even then, they get roly-poly bugs in the enclosure to keep out little nasties.

No matter how hard we try, we will never be able to replicate a true ecosystem in our homes. As a beginner, I tried matching humidity levels to care sheets. A waste of much time and detrimental to my collection. I've had nematodes, phorid flies, mold....

A very dry substrate with a readily available source of clean water is the best way to keep the majority of the species that are available to hobbyists today.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The only Ts that get moist substrate in my house are moisture dependant species such as T. blondi, etc. And even then, they get roly-poly bugs in the enclosure to keep out little nasties.

No matter how hard we try, we will never be able to replicate a true ecosystem in our homes. As a beginner, I tried matching humidity levels to care sheets. A waste of much time and detrimental to my collection. I've had nematodes, phorid flies, mold....

A very dry substrate with a readily available source of clean water is the best way to keep the majority of the species that are available to hobbyists today.
yeah i thought that too and "everyone" said they need moist substrate to keep the humidity up ... and i was like WHAT they gonna breathe the substrate or what.
most if mine are on bone dry substrate with a water dish, i even kep my T blondi on semi dry substrate wiht a huge water dish.
Just seemed like this si the first time i have seen someone else say it and not get hammered lol hats off to ya :p

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
yeah i thought that too and "everyone" said they need moist substrate to keep the humidity up ... and i was like WHAT they gonna breathe the substrate or what.
most if mine are on bone dry substrate with a water dish, i even kep my T blondi on semi dry substrate wiht a huge water dish.
Just seemed like this si the first time i have seen someone else say it and not get hammered lol hats off to ya :p
Let them hammer away, I speak from experience. UNFORTUNATELY!:( Guess my Ts were the guniea (sp?) pigs for the hobby to learn that wet substrate = tiny little deadly beasties!:eek:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Let them hammer away, I speak from experience. UNFORTUNATELY!:( Guess my Ts were the guniea (sp?) pigs for the hobby to learn that wet substrate = tiny little deadly beasties!:eek:
want to see a terestrial T climb the walls just put my anax's on damp substrate