Pink toe bolted

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was adding some stuff to its enclosure(its a new addition to my small collection) and I took it out and put it in a temp. holding container. When I went to put it back it bolted up my arm and around onto my back then made its way down my shirt and jumped onto the floor. I managed to catch it but it scared the heck out me and now I'm worried about the jump from my back to the floor. No splits or ruptures that I can find but I'm still buggin out and worried about an injury.........UGGHH!! I feel so guilty.....:( :8o

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
don't feel guilty. I had an H.maculata escape, and only noticed because she was quiet during the night and it woke me! I caught her too, but my B.F. threatened to stop sleeping over if it happened again! good luck!

Kristin;P

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arborials seem designed to better tolerate the rigors of falling.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I lost count the number of times I've had a Avicularia avicularia jump to the floor, and well I wouldn't make it a habbit it is probably ok. Avicularia avicularia are very light and less likely to be injured from a fall than your heavier tarantulas. This is a good reason to work with fast arboreals on the floor or over the bed just in case.

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Arboreals are built to fly!!!

Oh yes, I have had numerous occasions when I was working at PetCenterUSA back in the day to observe how the arboreal species of spiders can make flying leaps and land safely.I had both and A.versicolor and a P.ornata take off from me and soar thru the air...it was amazing to see......and they both landed and turbocharged across the floor....I caught the A.versicolor as it was an adult but the subadult P.ornata got away from me.I sort of looked around guiltily and kept my mouth shut...ornata? what ornata?

It appears to me that the arboreal species are built to tolerate the stresses of a leap and the impact of landing...I have watched them land and they arrive on their feet like a cat very adeptly.A terrestrial tarantula on the other hand falls clumsily and lands like a sack of wet cement with its abdomen usually splitting open.They are just not built for this kind of thing.I have fortunately never lost a spider to dropping them as I rarely if ever handle any of my spiders...and when I have I have noticed how truly unpredicatable they are and how easy it is for them to bolt and run off of your hand and SPLAT!!!

Best to handle them if you are, low to the floor over a pillow...forget about holding them up in the air..that is just an unfortunate accident waiting to happen!!!

:rolleyes: The Evil Spider Hunter

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
I was adding some stuff to its enclosure(its a new addition to my small collection) and I took it out and put it in a temp. holding container. When I went to put it back it bolted up my arm and around onto my back then made its way down my shirt and jumped onto the floor. I managed to catch it but it scared the heck out me and now I'm worried about the jump from my back to the floor. No splits or ruptures that I can find but I'm still buggin out and worried about an injury.........UGGHH!! I feel so guilty.....:( :8o
It could be OK, but I would keep an eye on it and look carefully for injury, especially on the abdomen. If it was near a molt, it could be bad. However, arboreals do take falls better than terrestrials.

I hope your T is OK, keep us posted. If you notice a crack or bleeding, triple nail hardener works well, and is easier to work with than super glue.

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
The rosehair that would never die, thats what i called the first T. She took a flying leap off my kitchen table (which is about 3 -3.5ft from the ground) off the table onto a hardwood floor. I scooped her up and put her back no harm done. That was 2yrs ago and she is still thriving till this day.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its the first time a tarantula did that to me. I've been obsessively looking at it from as many angles as I can and don't see any signs of a split/rupture or any hemolymph and the pink toe has moved around a bit since the leap. It did the the bolt, leap and run like hell thing. I'm hoping it will be OK. The balding rump was a concern to me too. Here's a pic:

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was my main concern with the bolt and jump to the floor.

Last edited:

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Besides the avic., G. rosea is also more tolerant to high fall. My rosea jumped off my table to the floor twice half a year ago and she is doing fine right now. I know I know, that was irresponsible of me.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the first arboreal I have gotten. I'm going through all the relatively common pet store Ts before I move up to ordering from online sources. How do arboreals molt compared to a terrestrial. As you can see from the pic it doesn't have a web in place. I would have left it in the container I bought it in with its webbed home but it wasn't within acceptable sanitary conditions for me. The store I've been getting Ts from sells them in the smallest size critter keepers(that way they don't have to handle/herd any Ts) and it was littered with dead/rotting crickets. The Ts are in good shape and have water but their enclosures aren't kept clean. The lesser of two evils since most other stores don't feed, water or house their Ts correctly let alone clean cages in my area. The prices are better than petco/chain stores and I get a collection of small kritter keepers as the Ts out grow them for future spiders. This place sells rosies with a small kritter keeper for 9 bucks.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm sorry but I have to voice my opinion in this one. Why do people feel the need to keep their tarantulas in the smallest containers possible, which is usually a tiny bit bigger than the tarantulas themselves? People can say that tarantulas are not very active and that they don't need much space. They can also say that the tarantulas, unlike Charlotte, never spelled out their stress. I often stay up very late to do work and I observe almost on a daily basis that they are very active. Some even keep rearranging their burrows and some actively have multiple burrows where they would move around from time to time. Then, of course, there are the ones that make you think you are caring for dirt.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess I wasn't clear....I would have left the pinktoe in the smaller container till it was past its impending molt before moving it to a new bigger home....I didn't mean I would have kept the T in there long term but the container wasn't sanitary enough for me to feel comfortable leaving it in there even for a short time in my care so I upgraded its home right away. The small kritter keepers are just a bonus for use when I start ordering slings in the future.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not going to say anything because I don't want to jinx my good luck.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your Avic. may be getting close to a molt, but you will know when it is about to happen. It will build itself a web to molt on. I haven't seen an Avic. yet that didn't. So when it starts webbing up the place and building a place to hide, the molt could be near.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderTwin
Your Avic. may be getting close to a molt, but you will know when it is about to happen. It will build itself a web to molt on. I haven't seen an Avic. yet that didn't. So when it starts webbing up the place and building a place to hide, the molt could be near.
It had a web in the old, small container but it was dirty/smelly and small so I moved it to the container I have pictured above. I hope its builds another in this container.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sure it will. Actually thinking of it now, I had one avic. that did molt on the substrate once. It was my A. minatrix's fist molt after I got it, ever since then, it has built a web to molt on.

Even my P. formosa built a web just before molting. It used it to molt on and once it was done, it went back to its old hide.