Pinhole cameras

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok,

I have, for the first time in a number of years, discovered my 'artistic' side of my brain. I have a neat idea for photography, which I doubt has been tried before (actually, it probably has, but I would like to give it a shot).

It uses the principle of a pinhole camera.

To that end, I would like any advice from anyone who has actually used these before and has some experience with them.

Actually, anyone who has prepared their own photographic film (or knows where exactly I might come across the stuff to do this) would also be a star in my books. I know all about the principle of the photographic chemistry, but I have absolutely no idea how one would actually go about making it from scratch (or if there are products about for doing this).

The idea I have in mind is as follows:
I will take a glass sphere, hollow in the middle and with a tiny opening at one end (the pinhole). I'll coat the inside of it with photographic negative 'stuff' (using emulsion) and then paint the outside of the sphere black. Take the sphere somewhere photographic and panoramic and then expose the pinhole for X-time. Then develop the INSIDE of the sphere and remove the black paint.

What should result (he said semi-confidently) is a spherical representation of the panoramic image, upside down (although the sphere can be turned upright)... I think. I appreciate that I will need a very thin glass sphere. I'm working on where I might get this already.

I just lack the knowledge and experience to follow it through. I have done glassblowing, so I may yet have to resort to making the spheres myself.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know absolutly nothing on this subject, but you better post pictures when/if you come across the stuff to do this!

I'd be really interested in seeing the result of this, as I know of 5 specific places I wish I could do this "theoretically" to...

-Bonny

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Just some questions.

- Is the emulsion on the surface of the celuloid in camera film or is it impregnated?

- does the image produced from a pinhole focus on a plane or a curved surface?

- would a blank christmas bulb work? they are cheap round and have a large hole in them that you could modify with a opaque piece of plastic thus eliminating the need to poke/drill holes in glass

- small note: black and white photographic chemicals have silver in them and require special considertaions when disposing.

GOOD LUCK !!

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just some questions.

- Is the emulsion on the surface of the celuloid in camera film or is it impregnated?

- does the image produced from a pinhole focus on a plane or a curved surface?

- would a blank christmas bulb work? they are cheap round and have a large hole in them that you could modify with a opaque piece of plastic thus eliminating the need to poke/drill holes in glass

- small note: black and white photographic chemicals have silver in them and require special considertaions when disposing.

Answers (to the best of my knowledge)
It's inside it. Normal colour film is actually layered, but is still basically impregnanted with the same old stuff that it always has been - Silver X (normally Silver Nitrate, I recall, but can be silver bromide/iodide as well).

A pinhole camera should focus better on a circular surface, I think, because the ray diagram through a circular hole should project onto a circular surface... (he said confidently).

I was thinking something bigger, maybe like 15cm in diameter... although maybe I am running pre-walking.

Sure thing. We've actually got all the appropriate collection 'bits' and even a darkroom at work...

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Answers (to the best of my knowledge)
It's inside it. Normal colour film is actually layered, but is still basically impregnanted with the same old stuff that it always has been - Silver X (normally Silver Nitrate, I recall, but can be silver bromide/iodide as well).

A pinhole camera should focus better on a circular surface, I think, because the ray diagram through a circular hole should project onto a circular surface... (he said confidently).

I was thinking something bigger, maybe like 15cm in diameter... although maybe I am running pre-walking.

Sure thing. We've actually got all the appropriate collection 'bits' and even a darkroom at work...

OK now you HAVE TO TRY it cause I'm psyched to see the results...

The photo guy here did some DeGueroitypes... THEY were AMAZING.

instead of grains of pigment etc. you have atoms of Hg depsoiting on the surface.. the image is just phenomenal... but the Hg is nothing I'd like to play with. hehe

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I used a pin hole camera in B&W photo class.