Piloctenus haematostoma (Ex. Ctenus sp. Red Fang) Care?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Hi all,
I’m hopefully going to be acquiring some Piloctenus haematostoma slings in the near future, but I couldn’t really find much info about them in regards to their care. To those that keep/have kept them successfully, how should one care for these guys at all stages of life (Sling, Juvie, and Adult)? Thank you :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi all,
I’m hopefully going to be acquiring some Piloctenus haematostoma slings in the near future, but I couldn’t really find much info about them in regards to their care. To those that keep/have kept them successfully, how should one care for these guys at all stages of life (Sling, Juvie, and Adult)? Thank you :)
I only had an adult female.

Damp sub. Cork bark curve on the floor and 1 (or more) lent against a side. She used them both. Quick. Absolutely stunning spiders.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Keep the slings in a vial with somewhat moist substrate. They don’t need cork bark or anything to hide in until they grow a few molts. Make sure there’s enough ventilation so that they don’t mold also. Feed them like crazy until they grow to like an inch.

Damp sub. Cork bark curve on the floor and 1 (or more) lent against a side. She used them both. Quick. Absolutely stunning spiders.

This advice is good for juveniles and adults.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron

Keep the slings in a vial with somewhat moist substrate. They don’t need cork bark or anything to hide in until they grow a few molts. Make sure there’s enough ventilation so that they don’t mold also. Feed them like crazy until they grow to like an inch.

This advice is good for juveniles and adults.
Alrighty, will do. Thx guys!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm raising slings of this species since 6 months. In 1. instar they were TINY, approx. 3mm leg-span. Hard to get them to accept prey at first. Couldn't get hold of fresh hatched pinhead crickets so i was stuck with D. hydei as only prey for more than 1 moult cycle. Had 47 slings when i started. Feeding response was okay-ish but but not excellent.
Switched to pinhead crickets as soon as i could get hold of some and found that those were readily accepted (better than the Drosophila).

Growth-speed was good, growth-rate is rather low to my opinion, especially compared to Ancylometes, Phonneutria and co.

Mortality was rahter low until 4 to 5 moult were i experienced a streak of moulting accidents and also some deaths without apparent reason. This might still have been a result to the mono-diet of Drosophila during their first instars and left me with 25 specimens after three months. Since then no deaths anymore.

They are VERY skittish and unpredictable during maintenance. Not agressive but may run for their life without any prior notice. I raise mine without providing a hide for them yet and suspect this behaviour will change a bit as soon as they have a hide.

Bottom line (for me personal): pretty annoying species to raise. Not really difficult but annoying. Mediocre growers. May get spooked by anything during maintenance. If at any possible avoid Drosophila like the plague.