Pill millipede id

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
So i soaked some leaves in water and left it in the sun for a few days and managed to make the leaf look like this

They srem to take it

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
That looks like mating behavior to me.

Are you sure you have enough wood for them? I've always heard pillipedes like more wood than other species, though I don't know if this is true.

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
I have seen wood grazing @LawnShrimp . Let me upload a youtube video for you to watch. I am not sure if you guys are interested in videos? I just started making a few amateur ones. but yes if you wanted more content i would love to make more for every one.

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
Here is a video for you to see what type of wood i am using. It is well rotted and aged with time. Its from a 100 year old oak tree that got felled by termite infestation.

20171220_134424.jpg

20171220_135246.jpg

I then submerge it for a few days to kill anything living in there theni. Put it into my bins

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I also think it looks like mating behavior. That wood looks yummy!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
OK, that looks healthy! I just couldn't see any in the photos. I'm glad they are eating; the most common cause of death is starvation due to either shipping stress, improper diet, or gut flora dying. From what I've seen here, you may not have to worry too much about this, but it may be a good idea to weigh them to track if they lose too much weight.

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
80 currently. i am planning to be releasing two colonies of 20 to professional breeders. To help ensure their survival. Cant leave all your eggs in one basket. @LawnShrimp

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
They're adorable! Can't help with the ID but it seems like you've got the care right

Also, I was under the impression that pill millipedes were easy to keep and breed. Breeders here sell juveniles for about 5 bucks each so I wouldn't think they'd be too hard to come by

Last edited:

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
They're adorable! Can't help with the ID but it seems like you've got the care right

Also, I was under the impression that pill millipedes were easy to keep and breed. Breeders here sell juveniles for about 5 bucks each so I wouldn't think they'd be too hard to come by
W H A T. I never heard about that! Formerly common imports like Arthrosphaera brandtii, Zoosphaerium neptunum, and other Sphaerotheriida die almost 100% of the time. Verified breeding success with giant pillipedes has only occurred once or twice in either America or Europe, and even then the hatchlings died. You Aussies better share your secrets! You guys probably get NZ pillipedes due to how close they are to you, so care could be different and less stress on the pillipedes due to shorter shipping time.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
W H A T. I never heard about that! Formerly common imports like Arthrosphaera brandtii, Zoosphaerium neptunum, and other Sphaerotheriida die almost 100% of the time. Verified breeding success with giant pillipedes has only occurred once or twice in either America or Europe, and even then the hatchlings died. You Aussies better share your secrets! You guys probably get NZ pillipedes due to how close they are to you, so care could be different and less stress on the pillipedes due to shorter shipping time.
The ones we get are all native here. Don't know much about care because I've never kept them, I assumed it was like any old millipede. Just whack em in an enclosure with good ventilation and humidity, rotten wood/leaves, substrate, eggshells/cuttlebone and you're golden (This is probably terribly wrong for millipedes in general, I've never kept them his is just what I guessed about their care)

I might need to start a colony as soon as I see some available :p

Edit: Yup, the insectory on Facebook had juvies for 5-10 bucks each late last year before they went on holidays

Last edited: