Pill Bug parasites?

Gumchole

Arachnopeon
I have a question about Pill Bugs. Yesterday while I was working outside moving some rocks, I came across Pill bugs. I noticed one Pill on it's back and picked it up. I saw what looked like baby pill bugs on the larger pill bug's stomach. I thought it was a female nursing it's babies. I put her back down, then left the area alone.

I looked online this morning, and saw that Pill bugs have pouches, and nothing about nursing young. My question is: could what I thought were babies have been parasites?

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I have a question about Pill Bugs. Yesterday while I was working outside moving some rocks, I came across Pill bugs. I noticed one Pill on it's back and picked it up. I saw what looked like baby pill bugs on the larger pill bug's stomach. I thought it was a female nursing it's babies. I put her back down, then left the area alone.

I looked online this morning, and saw that Pill bugs have pouches, and nothing about nursing young. My question is: could what I thought were babies have been parasites?
It could be babies leaving her pouch, or she could be dead and she is being eaten by young isopods.

Gumchole

Arachnopeon
It could be babies leaving her pouch, or she could be dead and she is being eaten by young isopods.
Thanks for replying. I thought of babies leaving her pouch, but not the other. Since she was on her back, maybe she was dead. I'm going to keep my eye on these Pill bugs. I didn't know until this morning the real name for them.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Thanks for replying. I thought of babies leaving her pouch, but not the other. Since she was on her back, maybe she was dead. I'm going to keep my eye on these Pill bugs. I didn't know until this morning the real name for them.
Yep! Isopods are a whole order of crustaceans. Both terms are correct, but most keepers call them isopods. They are actually pretty easy and fun to keep if you are interested in them :)

Gumchole

Arachnopeon
Yep! Isopods are a whole order of crustaceans. Both terms are correct, but most keepers call them isopods. They are actually pretty easy and fun to keep if you are interested in them :)
I just read about them yesterday! It was interesting. I'm assuming you keep them. Do you have a thread about them?

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I just read about them yesterday! It was interesting. I'm assuming you keep them. Do you have a thread about them?
I do keep them! I don't actually have a thread about them, but Snake Discovery has a good care video if you are interested.

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
I live in the woods in Western Washington, where potato bugs (sow bug isopods) are as common as grass. I have also started keeping local spiders, specifically Callobrius Severus, of which there is very little info about care. So, does anyone know if Callobrius S. would eat our local isopods? I can literally step outside and grab some, a lot closer than going to the pet store for crickets!

Gumchole

Arachnopeon
I live in the woods in Western Washington, where potato bugs (sow bug isopods) are as common as grass. I have also started keeping local spiders, specifically Callobrius Severus, of which there is very little info about care. So, does anyone know if Callobrius S. would eat our local isopods? I can literally step outside and grab some, a lot closer than going to the pet store for crickets!
Is there any reason why you can't just put a few in with the spiders to find out?

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
I find that my spiders will attack them, but they can't get their fangs through the shell. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I am so new at this, I wanted to be sure a couple of "potato bugs" wouldn't be harmful. :) I have a couple of pretty good sized girls, so I will try it!

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
What you don't want is for them to escape and reproduce, they can and will eat a molting tarantula.
Thanks...I was concerned about that. And parasites! I did try it just now, though, and my two big Callobius girls ate theirs right away, I have what is basically a sling Callobius sp (I think), and I put a tiny pill bug in with him, he not only wasn't interested, but kind of afraid, so I took the little isopod out and put it back outside. I really appreciate your advice, and sorry for hijacking OP's thread!

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Thanks...I was concerned about that. And parasites! I did try it just now, though, and my two big Callobius girls ate theirs right away, I have what is basically a sling Callobius sp (I think), and I put a tiny pill bug in with him, he not only wasn't interested, but kind of afraid, so I took the little isopod out and put it back outside. I really appreciate your advice, and sorry for hijacking OP's thread!
Don't feed wild food, they could have internal parasites that can harm your tarantula.

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
Don't feed wild food, they could have internal parasites that can harm your tarantula.
Thank you again. Although my spiders are wild caught true spiders, I have grown attached to them, and it feels like a big responsibility caring for any living creature, especially when there is so little information on them. Better safe than sorry, I'm out to buy some crickets today!