Piece of old skin on booklung; buy or not?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hi all,
So, 'my' A.ezendami which was recovering from molt with the breeder has a piece of old skin stuck to her booklung. The question now is, should I buy her regardless, or not? She doesn't seem to be bothered by it. What if the piece of skin gets stuk on a piece of bark and tears the abdomen? This species is not often available here...what would you do?

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
This species is not often available here...what would you do?
I had an Avic with a piece of her old molt stuck to her abdomen, and it didn't cause her any problems.

It's really just a matter of your tolerance for risk, how much you want it, how likely you are to find another. But if I wanted that species and couldn't easily find another, I would just go ahead and buy that one.

It's probably only attached loosely, so if it caught on a piece of bark, it may just come off without issue. But I would expect the issue to resolve itself during the next molt.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If it is not a readily available species then personally I would take the plunge. More than likely it will come off on its own.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Looks like only a small mitigated risk. Give that pained expression like it really bugs you, offer a bit less. Odds are you're all good. IMO anyway

14pokies

Arachnoprince
When it comes to Ts I'm a perfectionist.. If it was a readily available species I would pass it up without a second glance but If they are hard to come by in your area I would probably pick it up..

I doubt that it will cause any problems and there are things you can do to minimize any risks of it getting snagged on anything.. Use a water dish that is low smooth and has rounded edges. Same goes for the hide use something very smooth like a clay pot half buried in the sub something along those lines..

Once it molts and the problem clears up redecorate the enclosure however you like.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
When it comes to Ts I'm a perfectionist.. If it was a readily available species I would pass it up without a second glance but If they are hard to come by in your area I would probably pick it up..

I doubt that it will cause any problems and there are things you can do to minimize any risks of it getting snagged on anything.. Use a water dish that is low smooth and has rounded edges. Same goes for the hide use something very smooth like a clay pot half buried in the sub something along those lines..

Once it molts and the problem clears up redecorate the enclosure however you like.
Thank you for this, I didn't even think of making alterations :)

@Walker253 , lol, since I'm making the purchase via whatsapp, that pained expression doesn't really work :D

I told the breeder I still wanted her after some consideration. I know I'll smack my head later if I don't buy her now. I'm still smacking it because I didn't buy a G.iheringi last year when I had the chance.
Haggling is something I am terrible at to be honest. I think the price is very fair for an adult female.
But I won't be buying from him again if he doesn't include an awesome freebie :p

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I don't feel this is a big risk factor, provided the spider is healthy it will resolve itself easily next molt. It might even just come off on its own over time if it gets moist so although the spider has a slight imperfection Its at a minimal risk and you made the right choice still buying it imo.