Piece of glitter in T fovea???

Leila

Arachnobaron
I was changing my juvie A. avic's water dish a moment ago, and she lept out of her enclosure, so I caught her in the catch cup I had near by.

I immediately noticed an odd sparkle on her carapace that I'd not seen before. Alarmed, I led her onto my leg for furthur investigation. (I know most of you are anti-handling; but I had no other choice due to the fact that I needed to view her as closely as possible.)

As the title of this post already implied, I discovered a single tiny flake of what appears to be gliiter in her fovial groove. Ummm..? :happy: She has absolutely NOT been exposed to any glitter while in my care. I purchased her from Petco about 2-3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It was at the Petco christmas party a few months back and they forgot to wash it afterwards.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you could probably get it out with a damp q tip, but i wouldnt really bother. i dont see a issue. :

Leila

Arachnobaron
you could probably get it out with a damp q tip, but i wouldnt really bother. i dont see a issue. :
I pondered trying to remove it, but that T is QUICK. Lol.

As long as nobody perceives her bedazzled carapace as a threat to her health, I am going to leave her be.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Do you have vermiculite in your substrate? It can look like glitter sometimes.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Don't take this wrong, but I think you worry too much ;)
Stating the obvious...lol. :smug::cat:

Of course I worry too much. I am so new to this. As much as I read daily, I am still such an inferior keeper of tarantulas. Is it better that I worry about the darlings for which I am responsible..or shall I, 2 months into the hobby, resort to apathy and an attitude of "I know everything, therefore I will ask NOthing?" :cat:

Also, my post was kinda meant to be humorous. :)

Last edited:

Leila

Arachnobaron
20170314_191704-01.jpeg Sorry for the poor qualityof the photo. Hahaha! It was a quick take, as I wanted to get my lady back into her enclosure. The glitter is about the size of the tiniest piece of red pepper flake that most pizza places supply...or if you are familiar with different sizes of glitter: it is the larger size typically available. :happy:
And yes...it IS actually glitter. Lol!

Last edited:

Leila

Arachnobaron
Ignore it, it will go away next time the T molts.
::hugs:: But what a shame that she will lose that fancy look of hers. Lol!!! :happy::happy::happy: I think the bedazzled look really suits her personality. Haha

WJHolby

Arachnopeon
Maybe she leaves the enclosure when you aren't looking to go do bachelor parties and 18th birthdays? :astonished::astonished:
I'd ground her and make her go to church this Sunday...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
First world problems: How to remove glitter from my Theraphosid. :rofl:
I hope my Avic doesn't see this...or she'll be like 'mooommm she has glitter, i want glitter too!' :D

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was changing my juvie A. avic's water dish a moment ago, and she lept out of her enclosure into the catch cup I had near by.

I immediately noticed an odd sparkle on her carapace that I'd not seen before. Alarmed, I led her onto my leg for furthur investigation. (I know most of you are anti-handling; but I had no other choice due to the fact that I needed to view her as closely as possible.)

As the title of this post already implied, I discovered a single tiny flake of what appears to be gliiter in her fovial groove. Ummm..? :happy: She has absolutely NOT been exposed to any glitter while in my care. I purchased her from Petco about 2-3 weeks ago.
Some tarantulas live very glamorous lifestyles unbeknownst to their keepers. It sounds like yours is a fan of burlesque shows and/or cosplay.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
::hugs:: But what a shame that she will lose that fancy look of hers. Lol!!! :happy::happy::happy: I think the bedazzled look really suits her personality. Haha
I'm sure you can find some to replace it.... Maybe something red.