Picture Tips?

AlexandriaMC

Arachnopeon
Here's my first picture of my new/1st scorpion:

I think it's pretty good, but I'd like to get better. The problem is that he doesn't come out when the lighting is good for pictures and when I turn on extra light he hides.

Deadly1

Deadliest of Them All
Old Timer
Here is a shot of my adult Deathstalker (L.Q.)

Last edited:

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you tried leaving the lights off and just using the flash?

AlexandriaMC

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Tim R.
Have you tried leaving the lights off and just using the flash?
No, because I'm taking the pictures through the glass. I supposed if I took them from overhead that'd work.

Deadly1

Deadliest of Them All
Old Timer
Hey I reposted a pic above......left the lights on, without the flash....came out much more clear

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I have found when using the flash for macro photos the camera usually shields most of the flash from the critter. I use two reflector lamps each with a 20w compact fluorescent to keep the critter cool.

If you do use fluorescent bulbs with a digital camera; make sure to adjust the white balance so the colors are not messed up.

Place a white card under the lighting you are using, fill the camera field with the white and set the white balance.

John
];')

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Here is what a digital camera will do to the color of an H.spinifer. I am using the compact fluorescent light bulbs as mentioned above and have correctly set the white balance. The blue color is strong and present in 'real life' but the camera makes it look incredible.

This will happen with Emperor scorpions as well but not to this extreme.

I have not altered the original image in any way other than adding the text and re-sizing the image to post it.

John
];')

Attachments

AlexandriaMC

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Kugellager
Here is what a digital camera will do to the color of an H.spinifer.
Wow! That's the kind of picture I want. I'll give it a try later tonight if my scorpion wants to cooperate. Thanks for the tips.

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
In real life under the compact fluorescents they look a metallic blue-green color...quite strange.

I think the reason(s) for this is that not all the UV emitted in a compact fluorescent is absorbed by the phosphors some of it passes through and causes some fluorescence in the scorpion as it would under a black light...on top of this you have the shiny dark coloration you would normally observe. Lastly; I suspect that the CCD in many if not all digital cameras is much more sensative to UV than the human eye. Because of this increased sensativity the blue end of the spectrum in digital photographs gets 'boosted' in saturation...Thus, this results in the unworldly looking scorpion.

John
];')

black_ops

Banned
Old Timer
This is the same reason why as fluorescents get older they emit less and less uv but the visible light only dims a little bit, and the kind of visible light being emmitted is a different color.

Last edited:

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That was odd. Your pic didn't show up on my puter at first. Anyway, I just play with different lighting and lenses (I don't use a digital camera though). It's not that easy to get good pics of emps because they always hide. I prefer shooting scorps that tend to stay in the open. You can get more shots of them while their out and such.

adios,
edw.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pictures of the blue scorpion. How can a simple lighting effect look so good? If wish I could take pictures like that. :D :D :D

From
Eric

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When you properly white balance, it gives any picture a blue tint to it. Almost all films have a slightly blue tint to them, because that is the general color for films, it's that film effect.

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Its a digital pic...no film...except maybe on my lense ;).

White balance is used only on digital or video cameras.

John
];')

Last edited: