Picture of Nijinsky's Home

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I finally got a friend of mine with a high end digital camera to take some pics, so now I can show what I did for Nijinsky's home. In case you don't remember what Nijinsky is, he's an Avicularia avicularia.

This is a shot of the whole setup. Nice cheap alternative to buying a critter keeper and I can more easily control air flow by how many holes I drill. In case you can't tell from the pic, I used a 1 gallon, square, plastic rubbermaid container with a screw on lid. Setting it on it's side keeps Nijinsky off the lid. You can see his little nest at the upper left.

Here is a closeup of Nijinsky's web. Looks comfy. He never seems to leave his nest, although he might at night when I am not around.

Bryan

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I was trying to check that myself. Not sure what it is. Only thing I can think of is maybe something to do with the parenthesis in the url....

Scott

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I noticed that pics don't show if you do a preview first.

Might that be it?

Bill

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
I noticed that pics don't show if you do a preview first.

Might that be it?

Bill
No, because I didn't preview it first. I have no clue. maybe something is wrong with the system tonight?

Grrrrrr. :mad:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
No, because the preview is with attached pics. This post is using the image tag...

Scott

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Er...the first pic labels it as an A. Avicularia but the second pic looks a lot like a Usambara =p

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
Er...the first pic labels it as an A. Avicularia but the second pic looks a lot like a Usambara =p
No, that's an A. avicularia, it's the pink leg and black booty phase - probably a second or third instar.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just looked a lot like orange legs with a black underside..

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by bness2
I finally got a friend of mine with a high end digital camera to take some pics, so now I can show what I did for Nijinsky's home. In case you don't remember what Nijinsky is, he's an Avicularia avicularia.

This is a shot of the whole setup. Nice cheap alternative to buying a critter keeper and I can more easily control air flow by how many holes I drill. In case you can't tell from the pic, I used a 1 gallon, square, plastic rubbermaid container with a screw on lid. Setting it on it's side keeps Nijinsky off the lid. You can see his little nest at the upper left.

Here is a closeup of Nijinsky's web. Looks comfy. He never seems to leave his nest, although he might at night when I am not around.

Bryan
Hey Bryan, do you have a "smart and final" wholesale grocery outlet in your area? if so, go and check out their rubbermaid container clones.....they are half the price of the rubbermaid items. I also prefer the clone because of their screw on lid as it is completely flat so I can drill a 2" hole with a hole saw and hot glue a piece of brass microscreen in for ventilation.
Ed

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: Picture of Nijinsky's Home

Originally posted by atavuss
Hey Bryan, do you have a "smart and final" wholesale grocery outlet in your area? if so, go and check out their rubbermaid container clones.....they are half the price of the rubbermaid items. I also prefer the clone because of their screw on lid as it is completely flat so I can drill a 2" hole with a hole saw and hot glue a piece of brass microscreen in for ventilation.
Ed
Ah, indeed we do. Thanks for the tip. What I would also like to find are some 5 gallon type clear containers of that sort. It's so much easier to make one of these secure than an aquarium.

Bryan

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Picture of Nijinsky's Home

Originally posted by bness2
Ah, indeed we do. Thanks for the tip. What I would also like to find are some 5 gallon type clear containers of that sort. It's so much easier to make one of these secure than an aquarium.

Bryan
the smart and final stores have some clear food containers but they are not five gallons, I think the largest size was about 16 quarts. they use a tight fitting lid that snaps on since they are made for food storage. I also like their "souffle cups" aka condiment cups, they make great disposable water dishes. they come in different sizes from 3/4 oz. to 5.25 oz.
Ed