Picture frame glass

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I went to Home Depot today to look for acrylic sheets. A large sheet of acrylic is ridiculously expensive ($60 for 24"x48" sheet) but I did notice right next to it were replacement glass panels for picture frames for quite cheap. 8"x10" are $2 and 12"x16" are $4 with several sizes in between.

Anyone use these before to make an enclosure? I am wondering if the glass is too thin to be safe.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How do you plan on joining them? How about ventilation?

If you use a box "frame", it would probably be fine.

I imagine aquarium silicone would work also.

You go ahead and make one, let us know how it goes. ;)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Check to see if it is single strength glass. Picture frame glass commonly is. It is thin, the thinnest commercial glass, and held up at arms length and turned to a 45 degree angle it has some obvious distortion, it is single and very fragile.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
They were in plastic wrap with cardboard so I can't exactly check but I'd assume it is single so I guess I'll steer clear.

Am I missing any options on materials besides acrylic and glass? I'm trying really hard to make some cheap but nice looking adult sized enclosures but just can't seem to find a decent solution. I realize this is an old topic but I feel like I'm missing something.

Better yet, has anyone figured out good places or items to salvage good glass and acrylic from?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Recycling centers. Plate glass often finds it's way there.
There are hundreds of different types of 'acrylic' materials from a several dozen manufacturers. The problem is most never find their way into the pedestrian homeowner marketplace. Do some snooping around like on Ebay.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
They were in plastic wrap with cardboard so I can't exactly check but I'd assume it is single so I guess I'll steer clear.

Am I missing any options on materials besides acrylic and glass? I'm trying really hard to make some cheap but nice looking adult sized enclosures but just can't seem to find a decent solution. I realize this is an old topic but I feel like I'm missing something.

Better yet, has anyone figured out good places or items to salvage good glass and acrylic from?
Haven't been in a HD in years, Lowes and Menards are closer to me. If its the same glass I've run across, its single strength, and less than 1/8" thick. Grinding /cutting vent holes might be disastrous.

Polycarbonate can be used, but you've referenced "cheap", so thats not an option.

Might try a search for "acrylic suppliers in ????, Texas". Call and ask if they sell to the public, some do, others require an account set up and minimum purchase. Locally, I've a couple such commercial suppliers, the one I use has a $150 minimum. I buy two 4'X8'X.160" sheets to meet the minimum, yields 8-10 enclosures, depending on size.

Habitat for Humanity, if you have one nearby, sell a lot of factory seconds dirt cheap to the public. I've never found anything I could use, but its a "hit or miss" option.

Then you have Amazon and Ebay to search.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Thanks for the advice. At this point I can't seem to find materials cheaper than dalle craft can sell me a premade enclosure. I went ahead and ordered one of their 9.5" cube enclosures for $27. I'll give it a try and go from there I guess!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice. At this point I can't seem to find materials cheaper than dalle craft can sell me a premade enclosure. I went ahead and ordered one of their 9.5" cube enclosures for $27. I'll give it a try and go from there I guess!
Generally speaking you won't find anything cheaper. Glass is cheaper, but picture frame glass will crack (I'm thinking of an glass container that one sees in EU- which is NOT from picture frame glass). For plastics there's a few things out there, but nothing "cheap". All cheaper if you make it yourself in the end generally speaking.

When you get the Dalle, post up some pics and your opinions on it. I haven't seen anyone who owns yet w/a T, let alone their thoughts on it.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I'll let you know how the Dalle Craft thing goes. Now I just need to find a spider to put in it. Lookig for a juvie male GBB but haven't found one yet.

I am a big DIYer but with some things it just seems like it is pretty hard to save money doing it yourself. Looks like Res Eunice has it figured out buying 8-10 enclosures worth of acrylic at a time but I just don't need that much.

The only decent options I found were a pack of 22 each 12"x12"x1/4" acrylic for $105 shipped on ebay. That breaks down to $29 per enclosure plus solvent, hinges and hatches.

Also on ebay I found a 3/16"x24"x48" sheet that worked out to be about the same per enclosure.

Other options were taking my existing 10 gallon tank and adding a divider. I know people have mixed feelings on that plus the shape of the plastic on mine is not like most and would require some extra cutting and whatnot. Plus I would still have to buy a decent size of acrylic.

I also decided against buying a 5 gallon aquarium because the dimensions are not all that ideal plus again I would have to buy some acrylic, hinges and hasps.

All of these options are still cheaper than buying a nice $100 enclosure, so if the Dalle Craft doesn't work out I may be back to square one.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I'll let you know how the Dalle Craft thing goes. Now I just need to find a spider to put in it. Lookig for a juvie male GBB but haven't found one yet.

I am a big DIYer but with some things it just seems like it is pretty hard to save money doing it yourself. Looks like Res Eunice has it figured out buying 8-10 enclosures worth of acrylic at a time but I just don't need that much.

The only decent options I found were a pack of 22 each 12"x12"x1/4" acrylic for $105 shipped on ebay. That breaks down to $29 per enclosure plus solvent, hinges and hatches.

Also on ebay I found a 3/16"x24"x48" sheet that worked out to be about the same per enclosure.

Other options were taking my existing 10 gallon tank and adding a divider. I know people have mixed feelings on that plus the shape of the plastic on mine is not like most and would require some extra cutting and whatnot. Plus I would still have to buy a decent size of acrylic.

I also decided against buying a 5 gallon aquarium because the dimensions are not all that ideal plus again I would have to buy some acrylic, hinges and hasps.

All of these options are still cheaper than buying a nice $100 enclosure, so if the Dalle Craft doesn't work out I may be back to square one.
I just had to check out Dalle Craft, they're kits, so assembly is required. Assembly = time and Time = money, plus product is sold via middleman, increasing the cost overall. Time, in my case, isn't a large factor, mostly the size and weight takes precedence. If your collection is small, these are a nice option. If large, like mine, to be cost effective I build all the arboreal ones. For me, its a give and take scenario, metal hinges and clasps, versus acrylic ones. Why? Cheaper and IMO, are more decorative looking. Plus, when the resident needs rehoused there's someone else waiting to use it.
I've yet to see, or build the "perfect" enclosure, especially a "cheap" one.
In no way am I'm being condescending, but you did state you were a "big DIYer". In my thinking, you're depriving yourself of the satisfaction of at least attempting a scratch build. If you fail, at least you've gained experience in doing so. My first build wasn't great looking, but works and now houses its 4th occupant. Its not a "display" quality enclosure, being twice modified, but still "I built it!" for less than $20 (12"X12"X18").
As @viper69 stated, do post your thoughts on the Dalle kit. Also the assembly time it took to complete it. Looking forward to your comments, I'll watch this thread.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Red Eunice, you are right on all accounts. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for cheap materials, but at this point I have no use for several enclosures all at once and to just make one doesn't seem to save me any money (my wife is coming around quickly, but I'm a long way from convincing her I need a half dozen more Ts). I look forward to getting the chance to make one from scratch eventually but the Dalle Craft was cheap, fairly easy and looks really good in my opinion.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Red Eunice, you are right on all accounts. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for cheap materials, but at this point I have no use for several enclosures all at once and to just make one doesn't seem to save me any money (my wife is coming around quickly, but I'm a long way from convincing her I need a half dozen more Ts). I look forward to getting the chance to make one from scratch eventually but the Dalle Craft was cheap, fairly easy and looks really good in my opinion.
I read your review thread and thanks for posting it. Wasn't surprised on the material thickness though.
Glad you like it and hope it works to your satisfaction and the occupant.
Yeah, sooner or later, you may get the chance to build a few from scratch. If so, do a post, I like scratch builds over mods any time.