Pics of my babies

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is Grrr the Avicularia of DOOM (LoL), and a currently unnamed B. Smithi who still aint eating...

Attachments

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Smithi
Noc,
Thats a healthy looking Smithi.:)
You dont mind if I call you Noc do ya? :D

Ernie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Those setups both look nice, and like Ernie said, that is definately a healthy looking B. smithi. Doesn't look to be missing hair at all. I named my smithi Victoria, after my mother. Pretty, but still a spider ;)

Bill

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Those setups both look nice, and like Ernie said, that is definately a healthy looking B. smithi. Doesn't look to be missing hair at all. I named my smithi Victoria, after my mother. Pretty, but still a spider ;)

Bill
Well, I busted my arse trying to make the best setup for the avic. as I possibly could, without making something so nice that I never saw her again! As for the smithi, she was a real bitch when I first got her. She flicked hair at the guy I bought her from when I bought her, and quite a few times at me during the first week. She's calmed down a bit, but she still hasn't eaten (which makes me crazy, as I'm an overprotective parent LoL).

N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Noc,
Thats a healthy looking Smithi.:)
You dont mind if I call you Noc do ya? :D

Ernie
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. If you must address me by name, use my name: Nick...

N.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. If you must address me by name, use my name: Nick...

N.
Wow, my bad.
Sorry nocturnalpulsem. :confused:

Last edited:

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Woo Hoo! My smithi took a cricket out for the first time since I got her (12/27). One finally pissed her off enough to get itself killed. I'm so happy. Also, since my avic. made a web, it's been much easier feeding her. I just drop one in the web and she takes it.

I bought some "feeding tweezers" from the pet shop for snagging crickets easier. Has anyone tried to "hand feed" their spiders? Not literally, obviously, but with tweezers or something?

N.

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Handfeeding

I "handfeed" all my Avics.; 2 versicolors and 1 Avic.avic and 1 Avic. Braunhensei ( Goliath Pinktoe) :)

One of my versicolors s/he takes the cricket from the tweezer even before I drop it.
The bigger versicolor 3 + inches do hunting rounds now and then.

My venezuelan suntiger P.Irminia I did handfeed before, but now due to special new web she built after last molt, (she outgrow the old web:)) the cricket gets to her easier at low level.

So handfeeding is a good way for the avic T's to get their food 100% and they "learn" quickly:D

Kenny

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer

N.

How bout Nick-Noc! ;)

I beleive someone here who petsits (holley??) was literally handfeeding mealworms to some avicularia, but I don't think I'd want to do it myself. What would really be great is to find some winged insects that you could safely give a T. I've heard people say that some species can do aerial assault on flying critters, and that would be really cool to watch.

Bill

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How bout Nick-Noc! ;)

I beleive someone here who petsits (holley??) was literally handfeeding mealworms to some avicularia, but I don't think I'd want to do it myself. What would really be great is to find some winged insects that you could safely give a T. I've heard people say that some species can do aerial assault on flying critters, and that would be really cool to watch.

Bill
1) Hell no! LoL

2) That would be sweet...I bet my avic. would kick some flying critter's ass. When I first got her, she pounced on the cricks so hard she rolled on her back most of the time LoL I wish I had a video camera...:(

N.

"...just fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave..." -Labyrinth

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I beleive someone here who petsits (holley??) was literally handfeeding mealworms to some avicularia...
Bill
I have bought some mealies today (along with 2 heating pads) and have tried them out. The avic. seems to really like them as they struggle with her, and apparently that pleases her (evil spider LoL). However, I've run into issues with the smithi...When I put them near her she get semi-defensive (i.e. almost threat posture, but seemed more annoyed than anything) but did nothing. As a result, the little bugger burrowed and made life difficult on me. I now have a dish they cannot climb out of for her to eat from. Does anyone feed mealworms ("Super Worms" to be exact) to their smithi?

N.

"...I find that smuggling is the life for me, and would be delighted to kill your friend the maggot!" - The Count of Monte Cristo

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
About how long are feeding tweezers?