Pics of a couple wolf spiders. IDs?

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Was down in the NJ Pines looking for hogna carolinensis last night but the area I was in was pretty much dense woods as opposed to a sandy open area with sparse vegetation, where I'd expect to find them. It's funny...I believe that looking for these guys is more of a search for the proper habitat than for the spiders themselves.

Anyway, here are a couple spiders I found. Don't have time to measure at the moment, but they are not monsters. The first one is smaller than the second, and the second is what I would call a medium size for a wolf, if something like hogna helluo is large and carolinensis is very large.

Spider 1

Spider 2

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For spider 1, what do you see that makes you think that it may be carolinensis? I must admit that the black underside is why I brought this one home, though to my untrained eye it is not definitive.

Also, I know those pictures aren't the greatest. I may try putting the spider in the fridge for a few minutes so I can attempt some better shots, though my point-and-shoot in macro mode has its limitations.

As for spider 2, I believe you're dead-on. Additionally, these spiders were indeed present on trees which is consistent with g. pulchra.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
The reason we think it may be a H. carolinensis is due to the following; "Typically H. carolinensis has completely dark ventral aspect of the front 4 legs , unlike the banding seen in H. baltimoriana. H. carolinensis has a broad pale band around the dorsal carapace and the entire venter of the abdomen is black. ~ From Wolf Spiders, Nursery Web Spiders and Lynx Spiders of Canada and Alaska PART 17 FROM INSECTS AND ARACHNIDS OF CANADA." (BugGuide.net)

Also, the other Hogna species known to the NJ area do not match in markings, eye patterns, etc. in comparison to your new wolfiie. The closest match is the Hogna carolinensis. We've looked all over the internet, as we are very interested in this species as well, and couldn't find a better match for your spider. If anyone else can provide a more definate ID, please speak up! :)

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I appreciate the info! It will be interesting to watch it grow. Please check out my new thread as I believe I have found sub-adult or adult male h. carolinensis.

Would also appreciate any other takes on this ID!

Thanks!