Picky spider

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have fastidious T's?

My L. parahybana is one picky spider, she just wont eat crickets. Not that I blame her, I hate those things myself (disgusting animals!). And pinkie mice is just something to play with, she picks them up, run a lap around the corkbark and puts it down again. After a while she'll just move it to another spot but never eats it. :?
But, when I throw in a pinkie rat (big ones!) things starts to happen. She immediately understand that this is not a toy and starts munching. And she eats everything, not even the whiskers is rejected :), I just cant believe she manages to stuff her "little" tummy with the whole rat.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Hogge2k
Do you have fastidious T's?

My L. parahybana is one picky spider, she just wont eat crickets. Not that I blame her, I hate those things myself (disgusting animals!). And pinkie mice is just something to play with, she picks them up, run a lap around the corkbark and puts it down again. After a while she'll just move it to another spot but never eats it. :?
But, when I throw in a pinkie rat (big ones!) things starts to happen. She immediately understand that this is not a toy and starts munching. And she eats everything, not even the whiskers is rejected :), I just cant believe she manages to stuff her "little" tummy with the whole rat.
How big is your T? I have one I bought from Swift's a couple years ago. It's about 3.5 inches or so. He/she has been willing to take pinkies on occasion, though the last time I offered one to him about a week ago, he ignored it. So I figured maybe he's hungry and just doesn't want a pinky? I gave him a cricket or two and he grabbed it and started munching on it. :)

I don't think it's a good idea to only feed vertebrates to your critter though. I only give a pinky to certain spiders about once a month or so. Maybe you should try roaches if your guy won't eat crickets? I heard lobster roaches are quite popular with the t's and I'm thinking about trying it out on my critters.

Wysi

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: Picky spider

Originally posted by WYSIWYG
How big is your T? I have one I bought from Swift's a couple years ago. It's about 3.5 inches or so. He/she has been willing to take pinkies on occasion, though the last time I offered one to him about a week ago, he ignored it. So I figured maybe he's hungry and just doesn't want a pinky? I gave him a cricket or two and he grabbed it and started munching on it. :)

I don't think it's a good idea to only feed vertebrates to your critter though. I only give a pinky to certain spiders about once a month or so. Maybe you should try roaches if your guy won't eat crickets? I heard lobster roaches are quite popular with the t's and I'm thinking about trying it out on my critters.

Wysi
Shes a pretty big gal, about 7" and I know she have eaten cricks when she was smaller but now she almost acts annoyed/disgusted =D when I throw one in for her.
I'm also concerned about her rats-only-diet and always tries to give her cricks but after a couple of weeks or so without food I always give in... and offer her a big one.
I'll have to check if I can get some roaches and give it a try.