Picky LP

billrogers

Arachnoknight
i just got a juvie Lp that is being picky. I know it's not premolt because it molted the first weekend in my care (this weekend will be two weeks from the molt). I have a dubia colony but it hasn't shown very much interest in the roaches. I tossed a roach in today and poked it until it ran right by the tarantula. It pounced on the roach and just held stil. I thought it was eating it but I came back a few mintutes later and the roach was nowhere to be seen. If this normal? Lp's are supposed to eat anything right? (Btw, idk if this is relevant but it's a suspect male at over 4 inches)

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Sometimes larger spiders need more time to harden especially the fangs. They will still react to prey but may or may not eat it. I have A B. vagans and B. albo that molted two weeks ago and when i tried them with a dubia they did the same thing. Later I noticed one of them on the glass and its fangs are still red.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Large tarantulas can take up to a month or even more to recover from a moult. Wait until its fangs are black before trying to feed it. my friends t.stirmi took 6 weeks until it was ready to eat.

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Ok. So it sounds like I just need to wait another week or two and try again. Thanks for the info!

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Hey! I have good news. When the tarantula let the roach get away the other day I didn't go digging for the roach because the tarantula just molted and it won't again for awhile. Just now I noticed the tarantula found the roach and is eating it!