Picky eaters!

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I have gotten a few T's from breeders who rear there own lats so the slings are started on nymphs from feed 1. My b vagans was raised on crickets only and would not eat roaches for the first 2 months in my care. I tricked her with smaller roaches and she will now eat whatever touches the ground in her enclosure. My Regalis seems to prefer super worms but will eat mostly anything I offer whether it's crickets or roaches or worms. It just depends. My A Metallica loves to eat dubia from the tongs like a little doll though. She puts her palps on the roach so calmly and then takes it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
- this is a cool theory! id be fascinated to see some kind of study of wild-caught vs captive bred specimens including some sub-study on multigenerational CBs.
- imagine: domesticated spiders.

- Not much chance of that. At this point almost all of the tarantulas we have were/are captive bred. Most countries are shut down for exporting wildlife. Tarantulas run on instinct; over the decades I haven't seen any difference in the behavior between wild caught and captive bred.

- 'Domesticated tarantulas'? OMG. I think many of us would be horrified at the concept. These are wild animals. It took tens of thousands of years to domesticate dogs, and the effort was put into because of what we got in return from dogs. How long would it take for carnivorous/cannibalistic invertebrates?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
...and buying Purina Tarantula Chow for domesticated Ts. Sling, adult and sedentary lifestyle formulas to meet your pet's changing needs. What fun would that be?

ao4649

Arachnopeon
- Not much chance of that. At this point almost all of the tarantulas we have were/are captive bred. Most countries are shut down for exporting wildlife. Tarantulas run on instinct; over the decades I haven't seen any difference in the behavior between wild caught and captive bred.

- 'Domesticated tarantulas'? OMG. I think many of us would be horrified at the concept. These are wild animals. It took tens of thousands of years to domesticate dogs, and the effort was put into because of what we got in return from dogs. How long would it take for carnivorous/cannibalistic invertebrates?
oh, ages, i imagine-- certainly not in my lifetime, but it's a hilarious thought.

...and buying Purina Tarantula Chow for domesticated Ts. Sling, adult and sedentary lifestyle formulas to meet your pet's changing needs. What fun would that be?
dont forget to walk your LP on a martha stuart designer tarantula leash (tm)

cold blood

Staff member
this is a cool theory! id be fascinated to see some kind of study of wild-caught vs captive bred specimens including some sub-study on multigenerational CBs. imagine: domesticated spiders
There's no difference. The spider doesn't have the brain capacity to understand that they're living in your house...purely instinctual creatures, regardless of where they were born or live.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
My C. versicolor is a very moody eater. It refuses roaches, and anything larger than 1/8 of an inch (the sling itself is an inch). It will only eat dead small things placed directly on its web, and the worst part is you have to wriggle the carcass in a specific manner to catch its attention. Anything that struggles scare it. It will also not wander away from the web except to drink water.

Naturally fussy eaters like this never survive long in the wild to ensure only the healthiest gets to breed

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I had to buy crickets once again because two juvenile Haplopelma robustum I recently got just won't eat any damn worms. :rage: Their abdomens were really small, it's like they'd rather starve to death. I asked the guy I got them from and he said he fed them crickets so I bought some and both tarantulas immediately snagged a cricket. All my other tarantulas eat worms. I think it's because I've been raising them on worms since slings and these two were raised on something else, most likely crickets.