Picky eaters

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My emperor scorpion has been acting rather strange lately. It will catch a cricket, eat about half of it and then just drop the rest and leave it behind. I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen, and if I should be concerned. Is the scorpion just not hungry? Or is it possibly stressed by something? Thanks for any help you can give.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My emperor scorpion has been acting rather strange lately. It will catch a cricket, eat about half of it and then just drop the rest and leave it behind. I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen, and if I should be concerned. Is the scorpion just not hungry? Or is it possibly stressed by something? Thanks for any help you can give.
No sesame street and straight to bed!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist the humor.....
It's just not hungry anymore.....Suppose I gave you a 5 foot sandwich........etc etc etc ;)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Emps aren't picky eaters but their feeding pattern is not constant, sometimes they have periods in which they eat 2-3 crickets or even grasshoppers, followed by two weeks of fasting....it is kind of erratic. That seems to be normal...don't worry about it..

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine doesn't seem to fond of mealworms or waxworms (although I've had limited success with the latter), but it loves crix so I'd have to say it's a rather picky eater.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine doesn't seem to fond of mealworms or waxworms (although I've had limited success with the latter), but it loves crix so I'd have to say it's a rather picky eater.
In that way, yes you're right, they have their preferences..now that you told us you also feed mealworms, I understand what you mean....
Stick to the crickets, roaches or grasshoppers, these are also more nutricious than these worms.....and worms can dig into subtrate, the others don't...

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Today it ate a little more than half a cricket. It left behind part of the abdomen with the back legs still attatched and that's it.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
...............and? I don't understand, what do you expect us to say of this?

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mine eat mostly crix but they seem to like the occasional super worm\meal worms.....hand fed of course! :D [why are they called 'worms' they're beetle larva. worm are anneids and nemotodes and such. these are insects but, heck no one listens they all say 'bugs are bugs'...and, technically, true 'bugs' are hemiptera insects...sorry got carried away being mad at laymen :8o ]

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...............and? I don't understand, what do you expect us to say of this?
I don't expect YOU to say anything. If you're to ignorant to give me any advice or comfort even by just humoring me with some comforting words, maybe you better not reply to this post at all.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
How often are you feeding it? Adult emps can survive just fine on 1 cricket a week, but may eat a dozen or none at all. Don't worry about its eating habits too much. If it's not hiding, then you should worry.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it can be hard to understand because we see more common pets, like cats and dogs eat every day, like people. But it's really diff with scorpions and other inverts. I have an emp that hasn't eaten in at least 3 months. Like Michiel said, they can pig out for a few days, then not be hungry for several months. Or for some, maybe they will eat again in a few weeks. It depends on temps, age, the species, gravid, etc. It could be stressed too, you think you have the cage set up in a good way?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't expect YOU to say anything. If you're to ignorant to give me any advice or comfort even by just humoring me with some comforting words, maybe you better not reply to this post at all.
Listen, are you going to give us weekly reports of what your emp eats or does not eat??? It was already stated and explained to you what is the case. Stop wining and don't overreact like this. If you want comfort, go to your mom! cry baby!

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Here to inform... not to boost your esteem.

Basically all has been said.
Emperors eat on their own schedule.

If it doesn't eat for a week or two its no biggie.

Keep a water dish full and the temp and humidity right and you'll have a long lived scorpion.... and keep the tank clean.

Bam

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. I'm just a concerned owner and I don't see why someone has to be a jerk about it. And Michiel next time I won't bother replying, I'll just report you to a moderator.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Bobgrill,

You must understand action-reaction. I merely asked what you expected from me/ us..It was already explained that their feeding pattern is erratic. Your remark that your emp ate half cricket, did not add to the further discussion.

YOU (over-) reacted in the first place by calling me ignorant, which I found very rude. That's why I responded the way I did. Now you are calling me a jerk again, so please report me to a moderator and let's see what happens. I invite you to do so. Be my guest.

Also the fact that you are so worried about a simple thing, need to be humored and comforted by others, while there are tons and tons of info about emps on this forum and on the net, and thus those worries are not rational AND your usage of terms like "jerk" and "ignorant", instead of decent language, makes me think you are very young, emotionally inbalanced or have a mild cognitive disorder.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No one made you reply to my post, that was you and you alone that decided to reply. If you don't like what I am saying, then just ignore the post and don't bother replying.

And maybe I am emotionally inbalanced. What business of yours is that?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No one made you reply to my post, that was you and you alone that decided to reply. If you don't like what I am saying, then just ignore the post and don't bother replying.

And maybe I am emotionally inbalanced. What business of yours is that?
True, responding is not obligatory here, I'll give you that, but where did you read I didn't like what you said? This was my post:
"...............and? I don't understand, what do you expect us to say of this?"
That's plain english there my friend, I can't help what's going on in that little head of yours and what you read between the lines!
Where did I state I didn't like what you said?
And after this normal question, you started to loose it buddy. Get some Ritalin or Concerta and chill out man.Btw, It became my business when YOU started calling me names, if you had not run your mouth like that, I would have been out of this thread for ages. LOL and now I am done playing footsee with you {D

"Next time I'll report you to a moderator" ROFL:D:D:D:D:D