Picking up Scorpions video

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ08HlT3Gaw

I found this today in work, I think this is wrong. I admire scorpions to watch and see them in their false environments living their lives. I think prodding your invert out of it's hide like he does could be quite stressing?

A hide is supposed to be a 'safe' place, being prodded by a stick isn't a very safe hide is it?

nikesh

Arachnopeon
Aint that some shit...feel sorry for his scorps...
i pick my scorpions up just under there sting when they need handling ...is this not a good way?

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't see anything wrong with this. He wanted to show people how to pick up a large scorpion if they ever felt the need. Emps never come out so he had to prod it, much like you would any invert that likes to hide.

The maker of that video is also a member here under the same name and knows what he's doing.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, I'm not saying that it's bad to upload a video showing how to do it if need be.

Mind you, when would you really need to handle your scorpion? Place it in a deli cup and put it to one side if you need to work in it's vivarium.

Handling is for cats, dogs and other mammals.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ08HlT3Gaw

I found this today in work, I think this is wrong. I admire scorpions to watch and see them in their false environments living their lives. I think prodding your invert out of it's hide like he does could be quite stressing?

A hide is supposed to be a 'safe' place, being prodded by a stick isn't a very safe hide is it?
Just to clarify, I didn't poke it or push it out of its hide, I just touched its backside with the chopstick. The scorpion assumed that there was something inside the hide and it scooted out. I've had my emps scoot out like that when a cricket got behind them.

There are occasions when you'll need to remove your scorpion from its enclosure, after a successful mating, breaking up fights, removing the mother from babies so as to put babies in cups... etc. and I wanted to instruct and inform and stress the safest way I know how.

I appreciate your concern for the scorpions, and rest assured I don't handle my animals everyday, maybe only once every 3 or 4 months... only to 'check' them for health reasons and tank changes. I care very much for their safety and 'mental' health and I would not do anything to stress them out. I go to great lengths to mimic their natural environments. I keep them not as pets, but as creatures entrusted to my care. :D

Last edited:

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just to clarify, I didn't poke it or push it out of its hide, I just touched its backside with the chopstick. The scorpion assumed that there was something inside the hide and it scooted out. I've had my emps scoot out like that when a cricket got behind them.

There are occasions when you'll need to remove your scorpion from its enclosure, after a successful mating, breaking up fights, removing the mother from babies so as to put babies in cups... etc. and I wanted to instruct and inform and stress the safest way I know how.

I appreciate you concern for the scorpions, and rest assured I don't handle my animals everyday, maybe only once every 3 or 4 months... only to 'check' them for health reasons and tank changes. I care very much for their safety and 'mental' health and would not stress them out. I go to great length to mimic their natural environments. I keep them not as pets, but as creatures entrusted to my care. :D
Ahhh ok then. I'd never dream of picking mine up, supposed it's more of a "who's got the bigger bo*locks" topic.

I made sure I kept the plastic container which it came in if I need to inspect it, I'm a girl when it comes to being stung.

scorpians111

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aint that some shit...feel sorry for his scorps...
i pick my scorpions up just under there sting when they need handling ...is this not a good way?
i do not like picking my emp uup like that i'm not sayin its wrong but it looks like it hates it when i pick my emp like that all i do is use my hands to scoop it up. trust me they won't sting u. i don't think any scorp will sting tthe ground or try clamping the ground

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tail grabbing can hurt scorpions, especially those with larger bodies or thinner metasomas ("tails")

the position that handling stresses out animals is, er, logical enough, i guess... but me and many others that play with most of our bugs have also had tons of success with breeding, feeding, and molting... the only really objective signs of bug health. it is good to be concerned about bug health, but it is bad to make unfounded statements that are demonstrably untrue.

i have held some bugs literally the day before they dropped young or made an eggsac or whatever... and the babies were just fine :)

i'm not saying this gives people carte blanche to do whatever they want... but i suspect that reasonable free handling has no negative effects on most bugs.

further, out of literally thousands of free handling experiences i do not believe i have injured a single bug as a direct result of free handling. a very small number have temporarily escaped my control but all were returned safely to their enclosures eventually :)