Picking Up My Millipedes - Are They Safe?

Ladybuggy11

Arachnopeon
Hello! I recently bought some millipedes from BugsInCyberspace and bought some of his substrate to fill a tank to the correct height for Ivories. When handling them, so far, I have not had any instances when their repugnatorial fluids have been on my skin, so I think I'm doing it right. However, I notice when I place them back in my tank to crawl off, if I try to lightly pick the end of their body off to speed up the process off of my hand, they are very attached to the surface of my skin. Same for when I pick them up. I assume their legs are very good at staying attached to the surface they're walking on, but I don't know if it's harmful to pick them up if they're on a sturdy surface that's not dirt such as a wooden hide. Am I hurting my millipedes if I pick them up off a more secure surface? I don't want to hurt their legs if picking them up is too much force, or if it's pulling their legs too harshly. I couldn't find anything about this anywhere, so I would greatly appreciate any knowledge on this!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Hello! I recently bought some millipedes from BugsInCyberspace and bought some of his substrate to fill a tank to the correct height for Ivories. When handling them, so far, I have not had any instances when their repugnatorial fluids have been on my skin, so I think I'm doing it right. However, I notice when I place them back in my tank to crawl off, if I try to lightly pick the end of their body off to speed up the process off of my hand, they are very attached to the surface of my skin. Same for when I pick them up. I assume their legs are very good at staying attached to the surface they're walking on, but I don't know if it's harmful to pick them up if they're on a sturdy surface that's not dirt such as a wooden hide. Am I hurting my millipedes if I pick them up off a more secure surface? I don't want to hurt their legs if picking them up is too much force, or if it's pulling their legs too harshly. I couldn't find anything about this anywhere, so I would greatly appreciate any knowledge on this!
I do not believe any species can hold on strong enough for there to be damage from removal. They do not have large claws that could accidentally remove tarsi at just the right angle and effort. Doesn't mean you couldn't damage the body wall if you pull at too great an angle.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
You shouldn't really be picking up millipedes, especially ones as small as Ivories.
Encourage them to crawl onto your open palm, then coax them off the same way.
Picking up millipedes can damage them, especially if you try and pull them away from what they are attached to, they will only cling on harder.

Isopods others

Arachnoknight
I would let them crawl onto you since you may damage their legs same principle applys to snails and insects, I even wouldn't pick them up having unfortunately having experienced dropping of millipedes, they are very sensitive and even a minor fall may hurt them gravely.be safe !

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
I only pick mine up if they are on the substrate and I can get my fingers underneath them. I wouldn't try to peel them off any surface.
When putting them back once they have a few feet down they usually decide to slide off easily.
Millipedes don't need any kind of affection and shouldn't be handled everyday. They are happy to be in moist substrate.
If you want to enjoy them more and not handle them place some fresh veggies and fruits in the enclosure. They love to feast. No onions, garlic, or peppers though. Small amounts of protein every now and again too.