Picking up an X.immanis this weekend

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Picking up an X.immanis this weekend from my LPS. It's going to be most I ever dropped for a single T. I am just amazed how beautiful these creatures are. 3 questions.

Growth rate?

Coloring different regarding sex? Like how sexually dimorphic pamphos are.

Fragility? How fragile are they as slings?

Any additional tips, comments, or if you just want to share/brag about your X.immanis is welcomed and encouraged.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
im pretty sure theyre just like Pamphobeteus. including being sexually dimorphic. never kept one however.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well this is pretty easy their growth rate is moderate, big eaters and keep them moist as slings. Once they are sub-adult to adults believe it or not keep dry. This species does very well dry. The only time I boost the humidity level high is when my previous sub-adults to adults are about to molt.

If you want your sling to grow fast than normally don't just feed it crickets, you eventually should feed it mice or baby rats. Another great food source is earthworms get them to eat earthworms at an early age.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Possibly because of the rats and mice comment? Love Xenesthis species, wish I could find one at a decent price. Their vibrant neon pink carapace has little to no comparison ;) Love them, hope yours will do well! I heard to keep them like a Pampho and you are golden. Just very moist sub and a hide, some of my favorite types of T's in the hobby; eating machines, beatiful colors, and a size few can beat. And either gender, you get a great looking T. Believe Xenesthis aren't dimorphic, but still totally gorgeous :D

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
If you want your sling to grow fast than normally don't just feed it crickets, you eventually should feed it mice or baby rats. Another great food source is earthworms get them to eat earthworms at an early age.
I am not a fan of feeding vertebrates because I am not always on top of removing boluses. Not totally closed to the idea, just curious how mice would make it grow faster? Is it due to the volume of food?

Always thought about earthworms, never tried them before. Are T's prone to rejecting earthworms? Do you give them whole or cut them up?

Thanks!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see why some of you guys find it funny with my original post. What I should have said is, once your tarantula sling is juvenile to sub-adult I would start feeding it mice. It's obvious with the majority of tarantula slings you can't feed it a baby mice, however 2" to 3" inch Theraphosa and Xenesthis species would be consider a baby tarantula sling so you can get away of feeding it a baby mice cause of the size of the tarantula.

The species Xenesthis immanis are big eaters and need big meals. Therefore providing a big meal for for your Xenesthis immanis for example baby rats, mice, lizards, earthworms etc. your tarantula will gain excessive weight a lot quicker than just feeding it crickets, molt cycles will come sooner than if you feed it just crickets.

When people have two young juveniles of brother and sister that they want to breed, what's the first thing people do? Slow down the male feed him less than the female, feed the female heavily therefore female molts quicker/faster than the male. So what's the best meal to provide for your female to reach adulthood quicker? That's up to you to decide I know what I have to do with my babies.

In case some of you did not know this, tarantulas do eat snakes

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I see why some of you guys find it funny with my original post. What I should have said is, once your tarantula sling is juvenile to sub-adult I would start feeding it mice. It's obvious with the majority of tarantula slings you can't feed it a baby mice, however 2" to 3" inch Theraphosa and Xenesthis species would be consider a baby tarantula sling so you can get away of feeding it a baby mice cause of the size of the tarantula.

The species Xenesthis immanis are big eaters and need big meals. Therefore providing a big meal for for your Xenesthis immanis for example baby rats, mice, lizards, earthworms etc. your tarantula will gain excessive weight a lot quicker than just feeding it crickets, molt cycles will come sooner than if you feed it just crickets.

When people have two young juveniles of brother and sister that they want to breed, what's the first thing people do? Slow down the male feed him less than the female, feed the female heavily therefore female molts quicker/faster than the male. So what's the best meal to provide for your female to reach adulthood quicker? That's up to you to decide I know what I have to do with my babies.

In case some of you did not know this, tarantulas do eat snakes
I think it's from a morals/ethics standpoint. Tarantulas don't exactly make the kill painless for the prey, unlike snakes or lizards.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it's from a morals/ethics standpoint. Tarantulas don't exactly make the kill painless for the prey, unlike snakes or lizards.
I understand that people have their morals and standpoint of view, and if your morals are going to stand in the way for your tarantula to get the nutrition that it does in the wild than why bother owning a tarantula?
In my opinion is owning a tarantula is like owning a snake you gotta give it the gourmet food that they like to try. In some cases though there are tarantulas that won't eat earthworms, mice, lizards or rats. For example I had two of my Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra", my adult female would not eat anything but crickets, but my younger female she loves to eat earthworms and she will eat crickets as well. Most of her meals are earthworms for the reasons that it's a larger prey for her and it will fill her up better than crickets alone.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I understand that people have their morals and standpoint of view, and if your morals are going to stand in the way for your tarantula to get the nutrition that it does in the wild than why bother owning a tarantula?
In my opinion is owning a tarantula is like owning a snake you gotta give it the gourmet food that they like to try. In some cases though there are tarantulas that won't eat earthworms, mice, lizards or rats. For example I had two of my Acanthoscurria sp. "Para Mongo Zebra", my adult female would not eat anything but crickets, but my younger female she loves to eat earthworms and she will eat crickets as well. Most of her meals are earthworms for the reasons that it's a larger prey for her and it will fill her up better than crickets alone.
I don't believe you're correct here. Snakes are far more advanced, and kill their prey quickly, not to mention they HAVE to eat rodents/birds. With tarantulas, crickets/roaches work 90% of the time. I think here it's stemming more from your personal preference.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't believe you're correct here. Snakes are far more advanced, and kill their prey quickly, not to mention they HAVE to eat rodents/birds. With tarantulas, crickets/roaches work 90% of the time. I think here it's stemming more from your personal preference.
In the wild they eat just about anything they can get their fangs on. Not a personal preference is common sense.

When tarantulas are born in captivity there is not much to see besides crickets or roaches or not much room to roam freely.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feed a live pinky to a tarantula back in the early 2000's and the poor thing yelled for over and hour and half while being eaten and I vowed to never feed rodents to inverts again, and I haven't. I felt so horrid after wards, and this coming from someone who had prekilled many rats to feed to snakes.

I've kept Xenesthis in the past and find them to be awesome t's. Well worth the money if your inclined to keep this species. Fast growing and beautiful, but very skittish in my experience.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed a live pinky to a tarantula back in the early 2000's and the poor thing yelled for over and hour and half while being eaten and I vowed to never feed rodents to inverts again, and I haven't. I felt so horrid after wards, and this coming from someone who had prekilled many rats to feed to snakes.

I've kept Xenesthis in the past and find them to be awesome t's. Well worth the money if your inclined to keep this species. Fast growing and beautiful, but very skittish in my experience.
You should have had ear plugs it helps ease the tension in your mind.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Ive fed a fuzzy to my T. stirmi after she molted recently. There was not a peep out of that little guy. Needless to say i rated your comment funny because I was under the impressions that raising humidity right before a molt does little for a tarantula. They either need a set humidity for the environment constantly or they don't have specific needs(ie. dry) bumping it up when you see a molt coming i was told is useless.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive fed a fuzzy to my T. stirmi after she molted recently. There was not a peep out of that little guy. Needless to say i rated your comment funny because I was under the impressions that raising humidity right before a molt does little for a tarantula. They either need a set humidity for the environment constantly or they don't have specific needs(ie. dry) bumping it up when you see a molt coming i was told is useless.
If it's useless than keep your slings bone dry, when they molt let me know how that worked out for you.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
If it's useless than keep your slings bone dry, when they molt let me know how that worked out for you.
L.....O......L......
there is a big diference in keeping slings bone dry and bumping up tarantulas humidity before a molt?
Do you have anything relevant to say to this topic. We aren't talking about keeping slings damp or dry.