Picking up an X.immanis this weekend

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
L.....O......L......
there is a big diference in keeping slings bone dry and bumping up tarantulas humidity before a molt?
Do you have anything relevant to say to this topic. We aren't talking about keeping slings damp or dry.
Like I said as slings Xenesthis immanis should be kept moist, as sud-adult to adult I keep them dry with the exception that I boost the humidity level when they are about to molt meaning two weeks prior. If people want to keep their Xenesthis immanis moist for the spiders entire life that's their choice not mine, I'm simply stating that they don't need to be kept on high or moderate humidity on a constant basis like Megaphobema mesomelas or peterkaasi that constantly needs it.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been keeping Xenesthis intermedia and immanis since 2011 and especially since I've moved to Nevada they seem to require a decent amount of humility even as adults. My largest female was almost 9 inches ( she passed due to unknown causes) and even at that size if her enclosure got to dry she spent most of her time at the water dish with a leg or two in it. Due to this behavior I keep her with more humidity and all my adult xenesthis with more humidity with good results. But I do live in Vegas and the humidity is about 4 % so my t room has a fogger and keeps the room at about 30% humidity. I still moisten the sub and always keep a large water dish full. Even the Ts that like it very dry like G.rosea and M.balfouri seem to have a harder time that dry. After raising the humidity in the entire room all are thriving well and spend no time at the dish but to drink. Just a little ''tis bit I've experienced.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been keeping Xenesthis intermedia and immanis since 2011 and especially since I've moved to Nevada they seem to require a decent amount of humility even as adults. My largest female was almost 9 inches ( she passed due to unknown causes) and even at that size if her enclosure got to dry she spent most of her time at the water dish with a leg or two in it. Due to this behavior I keep her with more humidity and all my adult xenesthis with more humidity with good results. But I do live in Vegas and the humidity is about 4 % so my t room has a fogger and keeps the room at about 30% humidity. I still moisten the sub and always keep a large water dish full. Even the Ts that like it very dry like G.rosea and M.balfouri seem to have a harder time that dry. After raising the humidity in the entire room all are thriving well and spend no time at the dish but to drink. Just a little ''tis bit I've experienced.
I live in Midvale Utah is dry here as well. I've kept Xenesthis sp. "Blue", Xenesthis sp. "White", Xenesthis intermedia, Xenesthis immanis and Xenesthis cf immanis and kept them dry as sub-adult to adult with no problem, still currently have Xenesthis sp. "White" and Xenesthis cf immanis alive and well and kicking.

I've experienced the opposite in 2003 I constantly kept my large Xenesthis immanis moist and lost her after a few months.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is good to know thank you for sharing info. Much appreciated!! Xenesthis is a favorite for me. I have a male intermedia that will mature soon and my females aren't quite big enough yet so please let me know if you need a male.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is good to know thank you for sharing info. Much appreciated!! Xenesthis is a favorite for me. I have a male intermedia that will mature soon and my females aren't quite big enough yet so please let me know if you need a male.
Yeah all I'm saying is by keeping any Xenesthis species on the dry side I didn't or currently have an issue with them.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
So I did not pick up the X. immanis, just put it on a layaway. I will have it in two weeks. Did grab a t.ockerti though.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I did not pick up the X. immanis, just put it on a layaway. I will have it in two weeks. Did grab a t.ockerti though.
Those are very cool Ts. I keep mine in an arboreal set up and it does very well. It's a fast mover and flicks hair quite a bit. But I love it's colors. Good to hear your still getting the immanis. Xenesthis are just wonderful Ts

cold blood

Staff member
Those are very cool Ts. I keep mine in an arboreal set up and it does very well. It's a fast mover and flicks hair quite a bit. But I love it's colors.
Yes, I think they need something to climb in. They do look great with that bright rump. But super duper super special type skittish...same for hair flicking, crazy flickers. I recently re-housed my young female and had a friend over taking pics, he got too close, she created a cloud and his night of fun was over. Even had respiratory issues later that night.

On the plus, they grow at a decent pace and are very very good eaters...and their rump waving threat posture is always cool to see, even if its accompanied by a cloud of hairs. This is one of my MMs.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I don't believe you're correct here. Snakes are far more advanced, and kill their prey quickly, not to mention they HAVE to eat rodents/birds. With tarantulas, crickets/roaches work 90% of the time. I think here it's stemming more from your personal preference.
Except for goliath bird eaters. They HAVE to eat birds.

EDIT* Ooops. I guess I need to read better you did say birds :wacky:

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I forgot to post pictures. I did get the sling and I am very excited and happy. Looking forward for this T to get big and strong!

7763215697320760867_account_id=2.jpg 8320343209532170956_account_id=2.jpg

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I NEED a Xenesthis species. Some of the prettiest Ts IMO with the neon pink/dark black colorway :D Great looking T, hope it does well for you!

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
believe it or not keep dry
LOL, and also, external humidity has no bearing on a tarantula's molting process. I've kept so-called moisture-dependent species on bone dry substrate as slings and they've molted fine. As long as they are well hydrated they are fine.

Xenesthis and Pamphobeteus aren't really sexually dimorphic. This term really needs to die in the hobby, its just so unreliable. Their growth rate is slow to moderate, keep them on moist substrate and feed once a week or so. That's pretty much it.