Picking up a Millipede tomorrow. Tips or suggestions?

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
So I've recently fallen in love with Millis and my local exotic pet store is having a sale tomorrow. I have the option to pick up a Scarlet or Bumblebee 'pede. I hear Scarlets are hardy so I think that's a good option for my first 'pede but the Bumblebees are SO cool looking. What do you guys think? I know that they eat rotting wood, leaves and the occasional fruit or veggie and that they don't really need big enclosures.

As a side note: how do I sex them? How often should I replace the substrate/food. How would I maintain humidity?

I appreciate all feedback and knowledge.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I don't have Scarlets but I do have bumblebees there a hardy easy to maintain and prolific breeders
Substrate
I do mostly rotten wood mixed with Coco fiber you want to bake any wood in oven to kill any tagalongs that may be living in it I heat mine to about 200 degrees or more in the oven them let it sit and cool to room temp then mix with damp Coco fiber should be moist but if you squeeze it no water should come out I also back my leaf littler aswell and just layer it on top of substrate as far as changing the substrate you shouldn't have to change it just make sure you add rotten wood and lead matter as it is eaten

The love veggies just be careful so there are no pesticides mine love fruit as well apple banana pear just make sure you keep mold under control

As far a the container goes you want it large enufe that you can put one and a half to two times the millipedes length worth of depth for substrate is what is recommended but I've done less and they have been fine

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I have peat moss and Coco husk, does that work? And how do I drain it? It's too moist??

Hawk1252

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I just got a stone centipede in the mail, and its a baby, I wasn't sure if it needed a water dish as a baby (but one as a juvenile), and by the way SOCFROGGY the way you drain the substrate, you must get a plate, squeeze and let is sit for a bit, then add to the enclosure (p.s don't put rocks in there, put small tunnels, and reptihides because rocks allow them to hide all the time (besides the sub) and you want to be able to view them(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Can I put some tree moss in there?? Thanks for the drainage tip btw!

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Yea should be fine just have to watch collecting things like that they can carry pesticides or mights or other UN wanted things

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I use Bugs in Cyberspace's millipede substrate mixed with some sphagnum moss, a bit of cork bark as a hide, with a few leaves on the top. I would suggest you get a Scarlet and a Bumblebee, as you will probably, after a week or two, go back and buy another one. The Scarlets and the Bumblebees are pretty cool to look at together. Have fun!

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
T
I use Bugs in Cyberspace's millipede substrate mixed with some sphagnum moss, a bit of cork bark as a hide, with a few leaves on the top. I would suggest you get a Scarlet and a Bumblebee, as you will probably, after a week or two, go back and buy another one. The Scarlets and the Bumblebees are pretty cool to look at together. Have fun!
Thanks for the advice!!

Jerry

Arachnobaron
You know I'm not sure and the bumblebees are awesome before you know you buy more then there will be little ones