Picking a Female Sling

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just wanna say ive come to a similar conclusion to the OP based on the growth rate of alot of slings ive owned across multiple species. Largest and fastest growing slings have never once NOT been male. Im not saying its concrete proof or that its a guarantee you have either male or female, but just an interesting observation ive noted
And deeper burrows were a particular gender?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Apparently you didn't read the first sentence. I never said that any of this was scientific fact.
In an egg sac you use a "Schrodinger's cat" analysis, this is actually something taught in evolutionary statistics so you assume that 50% are male and 50% are female.
Is this the part where the cat's alive, and Leonard & Penny date?

Last edited:

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
A year or so ago this forum was not this hostile. So OP wanted to share how they attempt to gender slings. Big woop.
Did they ever say this method was law? No.
If i wanted to stand on my head, drink water and which ever container I spat the most on while choking meant that was a female- all I really give a care for the 'general you' to say back is "cool story bro" and move the heck on.
OP took the time to write out a well put thread on their findings, if you don't find it interesting- move on.
** steps off soap box**

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
And deeper burrows were a particular gender?
Not particularly, all slings except C.Tropix had identical burrows and 2/3 of my first 3 slings turned out male (Phlogius Strennus and PQ113). They each had synced molt cycles (came from the same breeder, all sacs layed within days of each other) but males put on significantly more size per molt. My Phlogius Goliath female did though at some point overtake my PQ113 male in size over both their last 2 molts. The male is only the same legspan as her due to being leggy at around 130mm

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Don’t disseminate youR thoughtS or opinion in a PUBLIC forum unless you want praise/criticism/discussion.... no one did anything other than that. If you view that as hostile you are incredibly naive.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not particularly, all slings except C.Tropix had identical burrows and 2/3 of my first 3 slings turned out male (Phlogius Strennus and PQ113). They each had synced molt cycles (came from the same breeder, all sacs layed within days of each other) but males put on significantly more size per molt. My Phlogius Goliath female did though at some point overtake my PQ113 male in size over both their last 2 molts. The male is only the same legspan as her due to being leggy at around 130mm

Thanks for this, interesting. The size difference in males/females for some species is huge, both in length and mass, especially some of the African terrestrials.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Thanks for this, interesting. The size difference in males/females for some species is truly massive, especially some of the African terrestrials.
Some northern Selenotypus here have males the size of the average coin compared to females that are close to 150mm. I was awestruck when my first Selenotypus 2.5 matured and rubbed my eyes so hard after seeing the pedipalps just to make sure i wasnt hallucinating. Its a quite thickly built genus, and a wonder the males can even lift the females.

Id like to say my above observations would be effective for Selenotypus too but they grow at a glacial pace so you're far better off waiting 10 years for a molt and confirm it accurately via spermathecae

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
My own secret method is very very similar to the S.W.A.G. Method, described above...but with the addition of a glass of iced Peach Flavored Crown Royal. Works every time, and I don't care when I'm wrong. :bag:
Wait...there is peach flavored CR?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Since I have been blocked, could somebody ask the OP what Grad level Evolutionary Statistics is?

Is that about the statistical impossibility of evolution or something?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Wait...there is peach flavored CR?
Yes...isn't that crazy?

I was BBQing a week ago, and my neighbor came over to join us. She brought over peach sweet tea, with Peach Flavored Crown Royal...it was awesome.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Im just glad to find out I’m not the only one who drinks and arachnoboards.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since I have been blocked, could somebody ask the OP what Grad level Evolutionary Statistics is?

Is that about the statistical impossibility of evolution or something?
Man, it's either a way of counting cards at Caesar's Palace OR it's something like this :cool:

Short version- applying mathematical models from physics to the field of population biology. On the surface they sound unrelated, but for mathematicians there are similarities of the 2 fields.

Basically it's a way for the crew of Star Trek to maintain a warp drive engine and still maintain the crew's population levels when Yeoman Smith dies!.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
That last line was hilarious and more clever than the “scheme” of the OP.
I am very cautious of anyone who would use the acronym S.W.A.G. to describe his technique to picking out spiders!

I wouldnt be shocked if it led to D.A.M.N.

DUDE. ALL. MALES. NO!

CamranT

Arachnopeon
I have a better method, I call it the D.A.Y.M.

DUMP ALL YOUR MONEY

If you buy 100 slings at once you are guaranteed at least 3 right?

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I am very cautious of anyone who would use the acronym S.W.A.G. to describe his technique to picking out spiders!

I wouldnt be shocked if it led to D.A.M.N.

DUDE. ALL. MALES. NO!
Oh crap, I just choked on my cigarette.

Also, for the folks discussing Schrodinger's Cat:
Nobody ever mentions putting air holes in the box. Therefore the cat is dead 100% of the time.
Didn't study philosophy or physics....but I know cats need air to live.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
There's too many factors that are being overlooked. You cant assume its most likely a female just cause its smaller then the rest, runt males are a thing too. You can raise two sac mate male slings to maturity and they may molt at different sizes and months apart. I have seen it firsthand.

Meal size can vary a lot for each sling as well when pre killed are being offered. And some just grow slower, or dont get as big as the rest...like any animal there is natural variation.