Picked-up this little one today...

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
Hi there,

Saw this little dude/girl in the pet shop today:

IMG_3159.jpeg

It looks like it's not long moulted (the moult is in the enclosure), and it seems quite active. They've got its enclosure set up quite well, and it's made itself a nice little web, so I'll keep it where it is for a couple more moults at least, though I intend to add a water dish.

I'm glad to have found another Avicularia sling following on from my recent loss during a moult. While no spider can replace another, given where I got this sling from it's almost certainly an egg-sac sibling of the one that I lost, which is nice to know.

Wayne

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
Seems to have settled in well, and is taking food.

I gave it a mealworm initially (the staple food of my Ts) but it ignored it. Went straight for the baby locust though. I wonder if avics need something with more movement than a mealworm?

IMG_3167.jpeg

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
All of my arboreals go crazy for moths and blue bottle flies.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
All of my arboreals go crazy for moths and blue bottle flies.
What kind of moths do you use? I’ve had hornworms burrow without me realizing it and emerge as moths, and the T’s love those. I’ll have to try blue bottle flies, but black soldier flies have been a hit for mine too

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
What kind of moths do you use? I’ve had hornworms burrow without me realizing it and emerge as moths, and the T’s love those. I’ll have to try blue bottle flies, but black soldier flies have been a hit for mine too
Most of the moths are just what I catch at night, I hang a bed sheet with a light pointed at it. sure many are against it, but I have never had an issue with WC moths or flies with any reptiles or inverts, in over 20 years. But the risk is there.

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
Most of the moths are just what I catch at night, I hang a bed sheet with a light pointed at it. sure many are against it, but I have never had an issue with WC moths or flies with any reptiles or inverts, in over 20 years. But the risk is there.
Moths are out of season now as we approach winter. I would imagine that moths would be a large part of an arboreal Ts diet in the wild, so would be a popular choice, as would flies.

It does make me worried that perhaps my sling that died was malnourished. I kept offering mealworms and it kept ignoring them…