Picked Up the Opposite Ends of the Spectrum

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I just picked up three E. sp. (red) and a P. murinus. I hope the OBT doesn't give me too much trouble. I understand they are wicked fast. I have never had any issues with my P. metallica or my Psalmopoeuses, but I don't know how they compare.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you've kept pokies with no problem, then don't worry about P. murinus. Just err on the side of a larger enclosure and you'll be fine. Congrats on the new additions! What, no pictures?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
If you've kept pokies with no problem, then don't worry about P. murinus. Just err on the side of a larger enclosure and you'll be fine. Congrats on the new additions! What, no pictures?
There will be pictures. By picked them up, I meant ordered. They are being shipped to Omaha. I'll drive up to get them next Thursday.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
P.murinus aren't the monsters always depicted. We need, once and for all, to 'debunk' that absurdity. Sure they are defensive, but nowhere near Asian centipedes, or a S.calceatum.

Offering lots of substrate to those, something for hide (why don't, only because there's substrate?) will result in 90% of the case of having a spider that almost always (the almost means if someone doesn't mess too much, or ask for something) will prefer to retreat or stay in that web-hide.

Issues happened because, due to high availability and laughable cheap prices, the wrong people, the stunt lovers, the not so educated about the care, and those always in a rush like if T's comes in Limited Edition, ended with one.

Last edited:

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
OBTs are definitely fast and I can vouch for their venom having been tagged by them twice (once in a store when one escaped, and once when I opened a sling's enclosure) One of my first spiders was an OBT because of my affinity for orange spiders and it's still alive today. In my experience Psalmopoeus and Poecilotheria are much more difficult than OBTs are, mine rarely leaves her mass of webs and when I open the enclosure she retreats even further into them where as I've had pokies run out towards me several times.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
P.murinus aren't the monsters always depicted. We need, once and for all, to 'debunk' that absurdity. Sure they are defensive, but nowhere near Asian centipedes, or a S.calceatum.

Offering lots of substrate to those, something for hide (why don't, only because there's substrate?) will result in 90% of the case of having a spider that almost always (the almost means if someone doesn't mess too much, or ask for something) will prefer to retreat or stay in that web-hide.

Issues happened because, due to high availability and laughable cheap prices, the wrong people, the stunt lovers, the not so educated about the care, and those always in a rush like if T's comes in Limited Edition, ended with one.
Definitely my S. dehaani is far more aggressive than any OBT I've come across

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just picked up three E. sp. (red) and a P. murinus. I hope the OBT doesn't give me too much trouble. I understand they are wicked fast. I have never had any issues with my P. metallica or my Psalmopoeuses, but I don't know how they compare.

Who'd you get the Reds from?

If you can handle an Asian arboreal, then you can handle most African terrestrials, esp the 2 species you mentioned.